Author Topic: Questions abouts Lycoris Desktop/LX  (Read 907 times)

bwid_s_01

• Kudos: 0
Questions abouts Lycoris Desktop/LX
« on: 1 August 2003, 06:02 »
I'm considering installing Lycorss Desktop/LX as my first Linux OS. I have a few questions first about it and about Linux in general:

1) Is Lycoris free and can be downloaded or do I have to pay? If I have to pay, is there a trial version I can download first to see what its like?

2) I read that Lycoris comes with a lot of stuff including Mozilla, Acrobat Reader, AIM, etc.... ALthough thats a bit useful to first learn Linux, I don't really like that at all. That's one of the reasons I hate Windows - for its integration of everything. Is it possible to install Lycoris without any programs and just the bare OS with only services? Cause once I learn it I want to be able to install only what I want and the newer versions.

3) Please explain in plain English what the partitioning of a single hard drive has to be for Linux. As a 13 year multi-boot Windows user with Partiton Magic, I completely know and understand what Primary/Logical partitions are and FAT/FAT32/NTFS. But I tried to install a Linux before and couldn't understnand why it needs all those partitions, why it can't install on one partition, what the partition requirements are, and what the file systems are (journalistic??, swap ext2, ext3, etc)..??? Please explain.'

Thanks.

insomnia

• Kudos: 0
Questions abouts Lycoris Desktop/LX
« Reply #1 on: 1 August 2003, 18:41 »
1. Only a part of it.  
www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=26

2. Duh..., that's what a distro is all about. Those apps you named have nothing to do with lycros (most or even not linux but GNU)  
"Is it possible to install Lycoris without any programs and just the bare OS with only services?"
That's called a kernel (without anything else) and is much to difficult for a beginner.

3."why it can't install on one partition"
 It can (not recomended).

" Please explain in plain English what the partitioning of a single hard drive has to be for Linux."
Swap, ext1 for your basic system. Ext3, ext2 or reiferfs(recomended) for all the rest.  

PS: BUY A BOOK.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/