Author Topic: Need help installing Linux./Unix  (Read 1319 times)

udaki

• Kudos: 0
Need help installing Linux./Unix
« on: 27 May 2004, 05:58 »
I have the Slackware,Redhat,Fedora,OpendBSD,Netbsd,freebsd,suse
debian,gentoo,and knoppix.Which distro should i use.
I need it for programming cause im learning it
right now,games,internet,music,and movies, and supports intel cpus and chips.Do I also need to switch my ISP cause the ISP right now is Earthlink dial-up and the software only
installs on windows and mac.Can I use wine for it?
and where do I find the drivers for linux?The company I bought it from gave me windows drivers.
thanks in advance.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2004, 06:34 »
quote:
I have the Slackware,Redhat,Fedora,OpendBSD,Netbsd,freebsd,suse
debian,gentoo,and knoppix.Which distro should i use.

All of those are good distributions, so it's hard to say.  We can eliminate Redhat because Fedora replaced it...Knoppix because it's a demo-type thing.  The BSDs aren't very newbie friendly (and aren't distributions of Linux, if that's what you thought).  Slackware is for advanced users...I say Fedora myself, I like it.  Suse would be good too, but I can't say myself (haven't used it).

quote:
Do I also need to switch my ISP cause the ISP right now is Earthlink dial-up and the software only installs on windows and mac.

As long as you have a supported modem and know the telephone number, you should be ok without Earthlink's stuff.  Make note if you have a WinModem (modem that's really tiny and has almost no functionality itself), chances aren't good for its support.  A few work.  All hardware-based modems will work.

quote:
and where do I find the drivers for linux?The company I bought it from gave me windows drivers.

Most Linux distibutions come with lots of drivers, so see what the installer can detect and then ask what hardware specifically isn't working.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

insomnia

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2004, 06:58 »
For programming: Slackware

what drivers do you need?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

udaki

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2004, 15:45 »
Im planning to use fedora for the main OS and screw windows over.The drivers I need is:

Intel(R) 82845G/GL Graphics controller for my graphic card

GTW V.92 Voice Modem for modem

The network adapters are Intel(R) PRO/100 Network Connections and Intel ProSet 2 application for configuring it.

Intel(r) 82845G/GL System Device Driver

USB 2.0 port driver

and the sound drivers for SoundMAX Intergrated Digital Audio

enjoijeff

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2004, 16:50 »
Fedora is icky, but that all looks pretty basic though. That should be configured on install. Shouldn't it?

[ May 27, 2004: Message edited by: enjoijeff ]

udaki

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2004, 18:11 »
how should i know...i need to first gather all the softwares and drivers before i can take the next step.

insomnia

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2004, 18:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by udaki:
how should i know...i need to first gather all the softwares and drivers before i can take the next step.

Just install your distro.
Those drivers are all included in the installation.
If Fedora missed something, you can do that after the installation.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/