Author Topic: finally !!! a linux user  (Read 829 times)

mc0282

• Kudos: 0
finally !!! a linux user
« on: 13 December 2002, 12:15 »
a friend of my was kind of to send me a copy of red hat 8.0 and now i have linux in my power..
so im very new to linux so please i need little help from you linux user.

1.how do you multiboot with red hat and windows 98 ?  (im using win98 because i want to play my games)

2.what is the tool you need to get start on programming in  linux ?

i wont lie i really like  visual c++ i don't know if there another compiler out there is the same as visual c++ or even better

and i would like to you thank you for taking time to read my post..

P.S FUCK MICROSOFT!!!!!!
huh, what?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
finally !!! a linux user
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2002, 13:04 »
i am sure many people will post replies to your questions in a specific fashion, but perhaps you should read through the FAQ to broaden your general knowledge.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

portaloo

• Kudos: 0
finally !!! a linux user
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2002, 13:12 »
Hi mc

mee too, hava had linux running for just over a week now and having fun.
BACK UP YOUR DATA FIRST.
Now i'm not familiar with RedHat cos i chose Mandrake but maybe my experiences will help.
First off are you using one or two hard drives?
BACK UP YOUR DATA FIRST.
If one then you will need to:
defrag your hard drive. Run scan disc just in case.
partition your hard drive ensuring that windows is on the first partition. Just depends on how much room you have as to how much you make the partitions. As far as i've read the install process for Mandrake is along the same lines as RedHats so the installer should ask you where you want to install linux.
OK, hda1 is your windows partition, hda2 is where linux is going to go. if it doesn't have an auto allocate for the partitions then you are going to need these partitions:
/
/home
/usr
/swap
if you want to run a server then you will need
/var
and away you go.
lilo the boot loader will ce written to your windows partition and you will be able to choose which OS to boot, sensibly enough linux is the default.
BACK UP YOUR DATA FIRST.
if you have two hard drives then just stick it all on the secondary which is hdb or if third drive hdc etc.
BACK UP YOUR DATA FIRST.
Just for interests sake because windoze is picky it is best that it stays on the primary partition of your boot drive.
BACK UP YOUR DATA FIRST.
Hope this helps

[ December 13, 2002: Message edited by: portaloo ]

portaloos may smell like shite but they are nice and shiny on the outside

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
finally !!! a linux user
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2002, 13:23 »
1)  Dual booting with Win 98 shouldn't present much of a problem. It's been awhile, and I was using Mandrake at the time, but 'Drake's installer had the option to automatically resize the Win 9x parts if you wanted them. Red's installer probably isn't too different. I would suggest using GRUB for the boot loader. GRUB will allow easy selection of what you want to boot. See: Red Hat Manuals and: Linux Documentation Project (click on "HOWTOs") For more information.

Secondly, before you begin installing Red, first make sure that you run both "scandisk" -- the complete scan, not just that quickie one Windoze runs when rebooting after a crash -- best done by starting scandisk from the DOS command line. Without Winderz running, it goes a helluva lot faster. Next, see the feature article right here: Microsoft's Really Hidden Files. You can recover many tens, if not 100 or more MB of HD space, more for Linux. Once that's done, run defrag. This must be done from within Windows. If you attempt it from the DOS prompt, you'll lose all the long file names. Bummer.

2)  Programming in Linux is quite different than doing it in Winderz, using something like Visual C++. Get ready to really learn programming. Every Linux distro I've ever heard of already comes with GCC. This provides your C, C++, and FORTRAN 77 compilers and linkers. GCC is a command line app, so you'll have to spend some time with the man pages and the info pages to get familiar with it. See the Linux Documentation Project for a GCC HOWTO. Definitely download The Official Autobook. This is an excellent manual all about: autoconf, automake, and make. You'll definitely need these if you're going to do any serious Linux programming. It won't be an easy read, so give it the time and attention it deserves.

There are also some very good programming aids for Linux: Qt Designer -- An IDE app quite similar to Borland's C++Builder, and KDevelop (both come with the KDE desktop). There's Glade, the GNOME equivalent of KDevelop and Qt Designer. There's also Anjuta, a C++ programming aid for writing console apps, or for use with GUI libraries, such as FOX, that don't come with GUI designers. Some of these also take care of managing your make and configure files for you.

And that's just for C and C++. There are also the scripting languages: Perl, Python, and Ruby. You can also get graphical libraries for these as well (FOX makes FXPy, and also a ruby version). Beats the HELL out of VB scripts    ;)   Also, get yourself familiar with Vim and/or EMACS: these are the best Linux editors for writing code. Both include extensive tutorials on running them.

That ought to be enough to get you started. You can always find some good links at these web sites. And, remember, Google is your friend.

Their fundamental design flaws are completely concealed by their superficial design flaws

[ December 13, 2002: Message edited by: jtpenrod ]

Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

HPC GUY

• Kudos: 101
finally !!! a linux user
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2002, 20:26 »
u can do C++ with Kdevelop it comes with redhat
"if i destroyed you, i would only be perpetuating your legacy" - Me