Author Topic: Catching on to Linux, like I said I would!  (Read 1022 times)

RudeCat7

• Kudos: 109
Catching on to Linux, like I said I would!
« on: 3 October 2002, 07:12 »
So now I'm weening my self off of Suse. I installed Redhat 7.3 on my spare 1.1ghz box. And I have to admit that it is packed with useful apps. Plus, it was a totally free ISO download. I noticed that it doesn't do everything for you. So I had to figure out how to put a CDROM icon on the desktop so I could mount/unmount easier. Then I installed a zip100. So I also had to edit the FSTAB first, then I could create a desktop icon for easy mount/unmount. I figure that it's just as easy to do this for my digital camera, so I'll try that later. So Redhat is pretty cool, plus, all the bargain books I find are for Redhat anyway....

vi is a bitch though, I can't use it without a reference book open. But I am pleased with my progress, thanks to you guys! I've learned more in two months in Linux, than I have in 'bout 10 years using m$ products!  
*meow!* I didn't say Linux was easier, I said it was better, Dumbass!

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #1 on: 3 October 2002, 07:18 »
My redhat 7.2 installed with icons on the desktop.
I am about to find out if RH 8.0 has them    almost finished brunin it

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: The Master of Reality / Bob ]

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
« Reply #2 on: 3 October 2002, 07:18 »
Its an awesome experience.  I found my self being troubled the first weeks when I was still using WIndows.  I had trouble adjusting and there were times that I even wanted to say fuck Linux.

But the more you play with it the more it captivates you. Now I am up to the point where I dont Use Windows, period.

And this web site was one factor that made me do that. VoidMan, Creedon, Calum, and others that i cant remember always had and have an answer for you to help you. And that was a major help for me.

I am still a noob but, am getting more and more comfortable with the Penguin and things now are starting to fall into place automaticaly.

One thing that i find VERY VERY helpfull, is the fact that I can do hundreads of changes on my desktop. From changing styles, schemes, to going to a different desktop.
 That helps me alot because it makes it more pleasing on the eye when i do programming and I have to spent 4-6 hours in front of a computer.

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: bazoukas ]

Yeah

LorKorub

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: 3 October 2002, 15:39 »
Yes, it is a glorious experience indeed!  

I really didn't pay it much mind when I first started out with it.  I found Mandrake 8.0 for $19.95 in the bargin-bin at Wal-Mart one day while I was just cruisin for some fishing gear.  OUt of curiosity, I gave it a shot.  At first, it was totally alien to me, and I only dicked with it for about two months.

Once I got deeper into programming was when I really got a deep interest.  M$ ties your hands to exactly what you can really do with programming (especially if you are using that piece of shit Vi$ual $tudio.) Borland worked fine, but when you have endless linraries at your disposal (for free), it was a little more than tantalizing to give it a second shot.  With a handful of referrence materials, and good people at good sites (like this one), your possibilities are endless...
"American English -- the noble language of your superiors"