Author Topic: Unstable RedHat 9..  (Read 998 times)

Agent007

• Kudos: 0
Unstable RedHat 9..
« on: 27 April 2003, 17:41 »
hi all,

Is it only me or are there others? I find the RedHat graphical user interface pretty much unstable...I mean the steadiness of the interface is just not there even though the system has a nvidia 3D accelerator with 256MB RAM. Could this be due to X?

Nautilus is not *that* responsive and Evolution crashes very often when processing huge mails. On a side note, I found the file-manager XWC very stable and has never given a prob. Btw, it's not included.

Also, it's very difficult to configure GNOME and most of the stuff seems to be hidden. Still have to figure out how to edit the menus and get rid of those pesky animations. KDE is really a bloat, so I switched to Window Maker..boy! there were a couple of suprises there too. Another silly thing is, running KPPP from a user account gives the folowing error; this is after inputing the root password.

quote:

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

kppp: cannot connect to X server :0.0

and running wvdial from a user-account too gives the following error:-

quote:

wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Cannot open /dev/modem: Device or resource busy

So, I have to log-in everytime as root to use wvdial.

Is RedHat moving in the right direction? KNOPPIX seems to be really cool. May switch to it entirely.

rgds,
AMD Athlon processor
256MB SDRAM
Linux Distro - RedHat 9.0

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Unstable RedHat 9..
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2003, 21:35 »
The default drivers that come with X for nvidia cards (nv) are pretty slow.  I suggest going to nvidia's website and downloading their linux drivers.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
Unstable RedHat 9..
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2003, 07:04 »
Yes, I've also noticed that Redhat 9 is unstable compared to other distros I've used. When I leave it on the screensaver for too long, and then try to move the mouse, it freezes. I remember that Redhat 7 crashed on me even more often than Windoze!

I have an NVIDIA graphic card, and the official drivers are very buggy. I had quite a few problems installing them on SuSE, and the FreeBSD drivers are simply crappy. The default drivers are OK, though, so maybe that's not the issue.

By the way, greetings, everyone.

[ April 27, 2003: Message edited by: laukev7 ]

SAJChurchey

• http://sajchurchey.htmlplanet.com
Unstable RedHat 9..
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2003, 01:26 »
I've found Bluecurve to run fairly slow on my Celeron 733. I'm not sure how efficient Bluecurve actually is.
SAJChurchey                    

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
Unstable RedHat 9..
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2003, 12:30 »
Red hat plateaud at 7.3,  I really like blucurve, but god damit where the hell are all my options.
how does porting half the GUI into the CLI make things more user friendly  :confused:  

when I get back all my options like in KDE 3X Red Hat will be out of its rut

dont get me wrong I really like Red Hat but I need my GUI to be there for me when I need to configure something.  And what kind of syntax is in that grub config file  :confused:      

eg.    root=/LABEL=/1

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
Unstable RedHat 9..
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2003, 14:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by laukev7:

I have an NVIDIA graphic card, and the official drivers are very buggy. I had quite a few problems installing them on SuSE, and the FreeBSD drivers are simply crappy. The default drivers are OK, though, so maybe that's not the issue.

By the way, greetings, everyone.

[ April 27, 2003: Message edited by: laukev7 ]

Ive noticed quite the contrary in concern of the nvidia drivers. Perhaps it is because I run a Geforce2, however Im pretty sure you have not used the new Nvidia linux drivers if you were having trouble installing, especially since nvidia made the driver install idiot proof. Go get the new nvidia linux drivers, I found that they work quite well and are super easy to install. Hell even when the driver was two seperate files I had no problems installing it, I just followed the readme.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net