Author Topic: MICROSUCK IS AT IT AGAIN!  (Read 1374 times)

1mck

• Kudos: 0
MICROSUCK IS AT IT AGAIN!
« on: 26 November 2003, 21:14 »
This is at the Lindows site in Michael's Minute, and I still can't believe it:

Date Published: Nov 25, 2003

I had just finished a Michael's Minute about our international growth when a disturbing incident crossed my desk which actually verifies that we are gaining meaningful international business that Microsoft wishes to halt. Below are the emails that describe the situation, followed by my original Michael's Minute.

Date: November 25, 2003 13:01
To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected]
Subject: Microsoft Trial

Hello Kendall,

i,ve got a strange phone call this morning from Microsoft Netherlands. They are saying that they are preparing a trial here agains lindows and they want to involve my company DV Computer Systems (http://www.dvcs.nl) in this trial because i sell my computers with Lindows Operating System (I'm am the only bronze builder here).

Next Friday they are coming to me , to talk to me about this. What i understand from that phonecall is that they want that i stop selling Lindows OS computers.

I don't like this but when they are taking this to court and involve me then i must stop selling Lindows OS because i don't have the money for lawyers.

I hope you or your staff have any suggestions.

Grtx Hans de Vries
DV Computer Systems

Below is the reply I sent to Hans de Vries. I also CCed the CEO of Microsoft, the head of MicrosoftEurope and a representative of EU commission investigating MS's anti-competitive behavior in Europe.

To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: Re: Microsoft Trial--

Hans,

First, thanks for working with Lindows.com as an international partner.

Your email was very disconcerting to read because it seems like another example of Microsoft attempting to eradicate all competition through any means. While they say they invite competition, behind the scenes they seem willing to take any actions - including blatant extortion - to squash competition.

I want to assure you that we will do what we can to support you. I understand you have a meeting this Friday. Although it's the Thanksgiving day holiday weekend here in the US and I was hoping to spend time with my family, I will commit to personally attend that meeting and sit alongside you.

Please confirm the meeting today with the Microsoft representative and I'll make travel plans accordingly.

Thanks again for being our partners. Together we are bringing CHOICE back to the PC business.

-- MR

Michael Robertson
CEO, Lindows.com - World's Most Affordable Choice

They'll try anything...jeez, they must be scared!lol

solarismka

« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2003, 08:25 »
Really? if thats the case you must be doing well!  I offer you my congratulations!

Why on earth would selling Lindows be wrong??

I sujest talking to a lawyer.  You don't have to hyer them but at least you'll get sound advice.

My own opinion though is that M$ wont have a leg to stand on.  There are just way too many reasons why Microsoft and not Lindows is a threat to consumers -> see DRM!
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2003, 21:15 »
quote:

Really? if thats the case you must be doing well! I offer you my congratulations!

Why on earth would selling Lindows be wrong??

It isn't. The "free" in free software has always refered to freedom, not free as in beer. The A Number One provision with the GPL is that the source code be made available upon request at no extra charge. There was a question as to whether or not Lindows was playing fast and loose with that requirement. There are other distros that don't make free ISO image downloads available (Libranet, SuSE) and that's OK. There is also the question as to whether or not Lindows' "Click 'n' Run software warehouse is a rip-off. It does make installing new soft easier, but is it really worth it? Strictly a matter of opinion.

quote:

My own opinion though is that M$ wont have a leg to stand on. There are just way too many reasons why Microsoft and not Lindows is a threat to consumers -> see DRM!

Macro$uck doesn't require a "leg to stand on" in many cases. Regardless, litigation isn't cheap by any means, and a small OEM can't afford to hire lawyers, nor can it afford to take time away from its primary business. It's nothing more than an attempt to bully this small OEM into either getting out of the business, and/or give up and become a M$ exclusive franchise. That's the "stick". You can bet that that they will be offered special, cut-rate M$ licenses (at least at first). And that would be the "carrot". Just goes to show you exactly what kind of outfit Macro$uck really is.

Lastly, Lindows beat them in court. You can bet that His Gatesness hasn't forgotten that.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

black crow

« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2003, 05:00 »
quote:
It's nothing more than an attempt to bully this small OEM into either getting out of the business, and/or give up and become a M$ exclusive franchise. That's the "stick". You can bet that that they will be offered special, cut-rate M$ licenses (at least at first). And that would be the "carrot". Just goes to show you exactly what kind of outfit Macro$uck really is.  

Absolutely. Micro$h_t are nothing more than a bunch of glorified schoolyard bullies; gutless wonders hell bent on destroying anyone with the audacity to stand up to them.  

quote:
Lastly, Lindows beat them in court. You can bet that His Gatesness hasn't forgotten that.  

Well I hope Micro$h_t cops another good swift boot up the date.  They deserve it for being such a pack of miserable, greedy, anti-competitive a___holes!   :mad:
I really hate this damn machine
I'm thinking I should sell it
It never does what I want it to
It just does what I tell it.

1mck

« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2003, 14:57 »
Ummmmm, -=Solaris.M.K.A=- Just to let you know, I just pulled that off of the Lindows site. I am not the person that is being sued here.
Also, notice that Michael Robertson is actually going over to be at the meeting! (Can you say, "Uncomfortable for Microsucks?"lol)
As far as the source code goes...the actual operation system should be GPL, but should everything be GPL?

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2003, 22:28 »
quote:
1mck: dvcs.nl

Jezus Christ, their hardware are rediculously expensive  :eek:

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #6 on: 1 December 2003, 05:57 »
I just don't understand the problem with selling Lindows.

Oh wait, I know...because it means people don't buy Windows.   :mad:  M$ doesn't know when to stop, do they?  :rolleyes:
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez