Author Topic: Duel booting with 2 HD's  (Read 1056 times)

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

• Kudos: 125
Duel booting with 2 HD's
« on: 4 November 2002, 22:14 »
On my laptop i already dual boot with suse and windows on the same HD, which is fine, calum sorted me out with some issue and everything works now in that regard.

BUT

I want to know install suse on my desktop system and keep another HD with windows on it, i'm thinking the process is different yes?

Point is, what is the procedure for installing?  I know i got to install windows first then suse but do i make the windows drive the primary or can i make it primary slave and would it still boot?

I'm thinking it will but does it make a different either way?

Ideally what i want is Linux on the P master and windows on p Slave.  The slave is an old ATA33 drive (3GB) whihc is enough for wincrap now i think while the P master for linux is a ATA 100 (20GB).

Also is there a performance hit anywhere, again i don't think so but no harm in asking.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Duel booting with 2 HD's
« Reply #1 on: 4 November 2002, 22:45 »
what you can do is put the drive you want windows to be on as the primary master. make the 3Gb one into the master, and the 20Gb one into the slave. Then the install will likely be the same as if you were using partitions except you will be using drives instead. If you are using LiLo, and if the installer sets up the partitions for you in a nice easy graphical way, and if your drives are all plugged in and the jumpers are all set correctly, then the procedure should look incredibly similar to you installing it as it did when you used partitions.

edit: by the way, i suggest that you make /home into a seperate partition from the rest of linux at install time, so that if you decide to hose your system for any reason, your home directory will be untouched. The same goes for My Documents in windows. Make it a seperate partition.

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: Calum & his insidious little spies ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

Duel booting with 2 HD's
« Reply #2 on: 4 November 2002, 22:49 »
Suse uses grub now.

If i put the 3GB as P master will it not affect the R Slave's performance what with it being on the same cabling?

binskipy2u

• Kudos: 0
Duel booting with 2 HD's
« Reply #3 on: 4 November 2002, 23:50 »
just put the 3 gig as master and the 20gig as slave.. most likely the 2o gig is faster..rpm wise..
so if linux is what you really want.. then you really want that to be on the faster drive..
install windows on c of course..
then boot up with Suse cd, and direct the install to the 20gig hard, simple..
enjoy
"They were offered the choice between becoming kings or the couriers of kings. The way children would, they all wanted to be couriers. Therefore there are only couriers who hurry about the world, shouting to each other--since there are no kings--messages that have become meaningless. They would like to put an end to this miserable life of theirs but they dare not because of their oaths of service" Franz Kafka

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

Duel booting with 2 HD's
« Reply #4 on: 5 November 2002, 00:32 »
Thankyou thats all i needed to know.