Author Topic: X# Programming Language and Longhorn  (Read 989 times)

anphanax

• Kudos: 11
    • http://june.tripod.com
X# Programming Language and Longhorn
« on: 7 October 2003, 21:32 »
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-1013530.html

quote:
Microsoft executives acknowledged the existence of a long-rumored programming language research project, called X# (pronounced "X sharp"). Microsoft is working on the building blocks, or "language constructs," of a programming language that can handle data in Extensible Markup Language (XML) more effectively than current languages, according to company executives.

Microsoft's Visual Studio.Net development tool is already XML-savvy, and the software maker is betting heavily on XML-based Web services to glue together its disparate products. The X# work is still in the early development phase, and Microsoft has no immediate plans to incorporate X# into specific products, said Paul Flessner, senior vice president of Microsoft's server platform division.

In a version of Visual Studio.Net due in 2004, code-named Whidbey, Microsoft will introduce some language enhancements to speed up development time, according to company executives. People will also be able to more easily develop for Microsoft's server applications, including its BizTalk integration software and its Commerce Server e-commerce software, with new tools.

Another addition for Whidbey is the inclusion of a "knowledge base," or documentation to solve programming problems, according to the company. The help system will be tailored to programming languages supported in Visual Studio.Net.

The enhancements in Whidbey are closely tied to an update of Microsoft's SQL Server database, code-named Yukon and due for release in the latter half of 2004, according to Microsoft executives.

They wont stop until they stop Java. :\

And also, to make this post a little more worth posting.. (source: the memo linked to in above page regarding longhorn)

quote:

"There is always enthusiasm in our business for new concepts," he wrote. "So-called 'free software' is the latest new thing. We will rise to this challenge, and we will compete in a fair and responsible manner that puts our customers first. We will show that our approach offers better value, better security and better opportunity."

Latest new thing? Customers first? Security? Lol.
As for Better Value, that depends on what you want from your operating system, but price-wise upfront, that's crap. And finally, what does he mean by opportunity? Opportunity for more security problems and bugs?

I'm sorry, but actions speak louder than words, when you lie to your customers about this kind of thing over and over again, don't expect them to for some reason believe in you and to trust you. Even if they are honestly cared so much, why do they release patches that don't do anything, and upgrades that cause explorer to crash all the time? If someone wants to defend microsoft about the topics in discussion, now would be a good time to.

[ October 07, 2003: Message edited by: anphanax ]

solarismka

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #1 on: 7 October 2003, 10:02 »
I totally agree, it seems that c# just isn't enough any more, nor to control what everyone is doing on their computers.  They won't stop untill everyone is using a game concole instead of a computer and every programmer is producting locked in protocals from the new 'x#' and not java.  

M$ is becoming more and more desperate just like their 'fan' base, that they have to rationalize to themselves and to others that they made good decision while evryone else made the mistake.
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

evil1dwk

« Reply #2 on: 7 October 2003, 12:33 »
Ok how many times have you heard crap like this out of microsoft. Promise, promise, promise. Delay, delay, delay. Here you go it's not what we promised but we'll tell you it is. Not to mention it's total shit and won't work with any software... except this software that already exists but we'll either charge you your first born for or we'll include with an operating system that doesn't work.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another addition for Whidbey is the inclusion of a "knowledge base," or documentation to solve programming problems, according to the company.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ummmmmm. I currently work as an IT professional in an organization that uses M$ products on a daily basis. In fact I support more then 200 M$ based computers on a daily basis (it is this fact alone that made me want to change to all linux machines in my home). I have actually had to use M$ "knowledge base". I would rather have to eat my own children then have to use M$ knowledge base.

No matter what they build. What it's fucks over in the long run. People will buy this crap. Infact, no matter what is said here today about whatever they plan on developing, fucking up, aquiring, destroying, or stealing tomorrrow. People will pay way too much money for sub par software.

And all along I look at Bill and say, "Besides his soul what exacly does Satan get in this deal?"

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
« Reply #3 on: 7 October 2003, 15:35 »
I think most of you guys on this forum already know of my long-standing gripes with the .NOT framework in general, along with it's baggage of #'s. The fact is that M$ are trying to do something much worse than displace J2EE, there trying to re-write the standards.

Fortunately J2EE is extremely popular and has a huge following, one .NOT wishes it had. Personally I think that most developers engaged in J2EE style projects, in other words, enterprise level, middle-ware, web service style operations actually respect standards. The certainly wouldn't have got were they are without them.

M$ XML savvy!?!? Don't make me laugh. M$ view of XML is a pretty twisted affair. They've managed to turn an open standard into a pseudo-proprietary one in Office 2003 and now this. X# I read was mean to support in-built database manipulation with SQL. Again M$ are behind the times. Yes SQL / relational databases are the most common form factor at the moment but there certainly not bleeding edge, I would say that's the realm of XND's (XML Native Database) like Berkeley DB XML, Exists, Xindice, Tamino etc... again very much in the J2EE / open source realm.

So the only reason I can think of why M$ really invents these hashed up (get the pun?) standards is pure and simple, control.

Well Mr Gates I don't want to be controlled by a monster that causes more problems than it solves. I for one shall be sticking to the standards, not only that but we the J2EE / Open source community shall create superior products that you can only aspire to. As we have done up until now.

M$ continued belligerence, pushing against the flow (think about how odd M$ sticks out as) will in the end destroy them I'm sure

[ October 07, 2003: Message edited by: Zardoz ]

The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don