Author Topic: Microsoft Using Linux for protection - IS FALSE!?!?!?  (Read 820 times)

bwid_s_01

• Kudos: 0
According to the 4th paragraph at
http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=39935
it's not true that they started using Linux for protection.
But still, the fact that they chose someone else who does run Linux shows they trust it more than their own Windows crap.

ALso what a dick that guy who runs that site is. Just read the 8th and 9th paragraphs too.

[ August 26, 2003: Message edited by: bwid_s_01 ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Microsoft Using Linux for protection - IS FALSE!?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2003, 18:59 »
quote:
When Microsoft created the redirect, however, the company had to move to a new frontline of defense, so it used long-time partner Akamai, which runs a caching service that uses Linux.

this says that microsoft used linux to up their security, end of story. whether microsoft own the linux machines or not is not part of the question. they hid behind them because windows is not as secure as linux. that much is obvious, the rest is moot.

as for paragraph 8, it's moronic and reactionary, in the way which many people are simply because they want the support of the sheeple and they think the way to get it is to opt for the status quo.

paragraph 9 is fairly spot on, however it is also a bit paranoid and it criticises what i feel is a very small and irrelevant part of the article in question. the point is, if he wants an XP/fisher price GUI for turning ports on and off, such a thing probably exists (in fact doesn't gnome-lokkit do this?) and with open source software, somebody could just write one if they felt there was a demand for it. this is not the uphill battle in linux that it will be to "rally round" and fix windows, though why anybody should rally round to fix a closed source system for a closed minded company with no intentions of giving anything back to their users is beyond me.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Faust

• Kudos: 0
Microsoft Using Linux for protection - IS FALSE!?!?!?
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2003, 00:01 »
Fisher price firewall GUI?  Eh he, firestarter works fine.    

quote:
Frankly, the knowledge and experience of the people who use these systems is what counts, which basically proves that Linux is no more secure than Windows; Linux just has more technical users.

Considering that this guy just admitted that we are all more intelligent than Windows users, I'm willing to forgive him his small faults.  (After all he is a dumbarse "less technical" Windows (l)user.  ;)  )

[ August 26, 2003: Message edited by: Faust ]

Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html