Author Topic: ?'s about Slackware!  (Read 810 times)

jrich4

• Kudos: 0
?'s about Slackware!
« on: 19 November 2003, 11:10 »
I am going to tryout the Slackware 9.1. I am currently using RedHat 9.0. I have tried Slackware3.2 back in 97, then went to RedHat. I have also tried Mandrake, Suse, and FreeBSD. I have mainly used RedHat.What I want to know is does Slackware have or use Grub? Which filesystem is the fastest (I have heard that SGI XFS is the fastest, then Riserfls) . I am wanting a fast system, be able to do C, C++, Java programming, run a webserver for my own sites, and be able to play Unreal Tournament and other games online that run in Linux. Any other information, Help , comments, would be appreciated. This computer is going to be just Linux only. No dual boot, or windows.
Thanks,
jrich4

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
?'s about Slackware!
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2003, 11:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by jrich4:
What I want to know is does Slackware have or use Grub?

It uses LILO. Not much diffrent, it's easier to configure, yet not as pretty as GRUB.

quote:
Which filesystem is the fastest (I have heard that SGI XFS is the fastest, then Riserfls). I am wanting a fast system, be able to do C, C++, Java programming, run a webserver for my own sites, and be able to play Unreal Tournament and other games online that run in Linux.

Use Riser, It's awsome. Oh, and this will be the fastest Linux distro you have ever used. If anything, Slackware is fast and responsive on any level.

quote:
Any other information, Help , comments, would be appreciated. This computer is going to be just Linux only. No dual boot, or windows.
Thanks,

My only comment would be is that Slackware 9.1 is the best linux distro ever. I have never used a distro so rock solid, and stable. Not to mention the speedy, and beutifful GUI's.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
?'s about Slackware!
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2003, 18:04 »
it wouldnt be too hard to install grub if you needed it. A webserver is easy just like red hat. I've never tried XFS and i believe you would have to install it after you install slack on Ext3 or ReiserFS. Slackware does come with the XFS Utils though. Ive found Slackware to be incredibly quick with ReiserFS.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
?'s about Slackware!
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2003, 11:19 »
quote:

I am wanting a fast system, be able to do C, C++, Java programming,

For that, Slack is an excellent choice. It comes with lots of really nice programming aids. Ber sure to install "valgrind", a most useful memory useage utility. Works great in tracking down runaway pointers and other memory leaks. May not be as pretty on the desktop, but a real pleasure to program on.

If software can be free, why can't dolphins?
Live Free or Die: Linux

Master of Reality

• VIP
?'s about Slackware!
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2003, 20:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by jtpenrod:
May not be as pretty on the desktop, but a real pleasure to program on.

http://mor.servebeer.com:8000/images/slack9.1.jpg
look at that and then tell me Slackware isnt the purtiest.
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
?'s about Slackware!
« Reply #5 on: 1 December 2003, 06:02 »
Hmmm...

You guys are saying great things about ReiserFS and such...when I installed Slackware a few weeks ago, I just used ext2 (n00b warning  :D  ).  Is there some way to convert, and if so, is it worth trying for a newbie?
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
?'s about Slackware!
« Reply #6 on: 1 December 2003, 11:51 »
I hear great things aboot Slack, but how it is compared too what I run right now, Gentoo.  I don't like how slack does the "su, ./configure && make install" compared to Gentoo's portage system. e.g. "emerge mplayer" there IS a binary flag ("-k" so "emerge -k mozilla-firebird", useful for apps like KDE, OOo and mozilla, which take an ASS-LONG time to compile. mplayer is one of the few apps where it is useful to compile it the normal way, if you want a GUI.I hear that slack is easier than gentoo, but I am not sure.  for the kernel did you do make menuconfig, etc...  because gentoo has a lot of cool apps that help out. (like genkernel (kernel compiler)) et cetera.

so, how is slack compared to Gentoo?
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Master of Reality

• VIP
?'s about Slackware!
« Reply #7 on: 2 December 2003, 01:33 »
there is the slackware package system which kicks ass. And you dont have to compile mozilla in any Linux distro (unless the installer doesnt work). the xconfig for the 2.6 kernel is great and i found that no other apps were needed. You can also install slapt-get and download and install packages straight from the net (like the apt-get system in debian)
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518