Author Topic: Microsoft Wins Homeland Security Contract  (Read 1509 times)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Microsoft Wins Homeland Security Contract
« on: 16 July 2003, 20:34 »
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=3095377

quote:
The Department of Homeland Security said on Tuesday it has awarded a five-year, $90 million enterprise agreement to Microsoft Corp MSFT.O to become the department's primary technology provider.

Under the contract, Microsoft will supply desktop and server software to the newly created department, which has merged parts of 22 different agencies into one entity.

The agreement delivers licensing coverage for about 140,000 desktops and will help the department to establish a common computing environment, Homeland Security said in a statement.

Dell Marketing LP. was selected as the reseller, to provide the day-to-day management of the enterprise agreement, it said.

WTF  :eek:  
homeland SECURITY is going to use the worlds MOST INSECURE SOFTWARE as its tech base? It boggles the mind.

bwid_s_01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2003, 21:40 »
The terrorists are probably partying over this joyous news.

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2003, 21:52 »
If all goes well, by that I mean usual number of virii, breaches and problems that M$ seems to suffer on a regular basis. Then hopefully it will only speed up the collapse or removal of M$ from it's supposed top spot.

Let's hope the dept of Homeland Insecurity get's really pissed with them as well.

[ July 16, 2003: Message edited by: Zardoz ]

The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2003, 21:53 »
lets hope so  

HibbeeBoy

« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2003, 21:53 »
Re arrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying;

organise, a piss-up, brewery, couldn't

Oh yes, Korea must be shaking in their shoes now.
Democracy, it's like three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

mc0282

« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2003, 01:20 »
the should tell us how much United of America care about our protection. using  microsoft windows as  security software is the biggest mistake they ever did, windows have alot fucking bug and flaws, shit microsoft has is own library full of collection of virus,error,overflow,etc.. and  our goverment still use it, come on  when in the hell this fucking goverments is going to take there head out of there asses ? i be honest to all of you  for me  US  could have prevent  it the  attack on us if they would were doing there jobs and stop hiring lazy fucks all they care about money and what car they going to drive next year.. ahh fuck this  
bye

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: mc0282 ]

huh, what?

Stilly

• Kudos: 29
    • http://kickassshit.tk/
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2003, 01:23 »
I doubt the government would really use windows, it is probably just a way to get people to trust microsoft

or maybe they are that fucking stupid
just say know

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2003, 01:45 »
Put money into Microsoft, ms stock goes up, stock market goes up, people get happy, people buy things, economy back to the normal, starbucks & mcdonalds injected mental seditive "buy this, buy that, buy what we tell you, think what we tell you" mode. Yay america and yay microsoft. the pinnacle of the american dream and success.

i have no fucking clue how the economy works or what the gov thinks. i do know(think) they must be complete fucking idiots and are not looking at the Big Picture whan they decided to use ms software as the backbone for our countries homeland security department. All of our intelligence agencies are united in the homeland security department, and we rely on windows and ms office? what the fuck. lets hope noone at work installs kazaa, i might stumble accross a bunch of excell & word docs about the "going ons" in the gov or something.

anyone played that game? "kazaa-ing for peoples personal shit because they are idiots and share their entire harddrive" it is fucked up what you find. i have only done it once, and my god. people are stupid...

solarismka

« Reply #8 on: 18 July 2003, 04:19 »
as far as p2p goes, no matter if its kazaa or winmx or even gnutelle/1or2.  You can see people share their entire hard drives.  Heck by putting in the correct search string you can even read personal emails and documents.

When it comes to kazaa and the like theres spyware to compete with too, on top of everything else.

I dunno.  Using windows for homeland security is good in a way, now that I'm goinng to KNOW what is going on with them.  Like everyone else said right here. There IS gonna be a back door somewhere.  And if America(The Goverment that is)  keeps bulling other countries like it is now, other countries will be able to fight back!

Good news for the world since it will start to dismantle their dictatorship.      

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: -=Solaris.M.K.A=- ]

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: -=Solaris.M.K.A=- ]

"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: 18 July 2003, 04:34 »
------------this is not aimed at anyone------------

goddamn it. i am trying to reply to this, but have to hold my tounge, else risk mass forum hysteria.

argh i say. argh.

avello500

• http://www.suicidaltendencies.com/
« Reply #10 on: 22 July 2003, 10:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by ecsyle:951:
argh i say. argh.

ahmen!
How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
« Reply #11 on: 22 July 2003, 19:11 »
My father is a software engineer for the government.  He works at warner robins air force base and yes .... they all use windows and yes ... they almost always get hacked by the chinese every few weeks or so ...
All your base are belong to us.

sime

• Kudos: 4
    • http://www.azuro.com
« Reply #12 on: 22 July 2003, 19:24 »
I have this theory regarding Windows and big business .... BACK HANDERS  :D  The sales team won't get any for a single $60.00 copy of Linux but I bet they did very well indeed on a $90 Million contract for Windowz.

So the Department of Homeland Security becomes the "Department of Homeland Insecurity, hackability and unreliability" how jolly reassuring. Good to see that management over there are as incompetent and stupid as they are here in the UK  :D

Remember them that can do, them that can't teach, and them that can't do either... management and fail upwards (and if you REALLY screw up you get $6 Million in share options as you leave).

Later
==================================================
If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem.

Sime@04
==================================================

Faust

« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2003, 07:04 »
If they change their minds re S's for a little bit of a kick back I wonder how much more it would cost for them to ignore a few terrorists?  "Security" departments should _not_ be thinking along the lines of kick backs for that very reason.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

anphanax

• Kudos: 11
    • http://june.tripod.com
« Reply #14 on: 1 August 2003, 23:30 »
*bumps topic*

This deserves to be bumped back to the top so more people will read it. Honestly, you have to wonder what went on between MS and homeland security. This shouldn't have happened.

I'm guessing Microsoft used some of it's "statistics" and some payoff $$$ or other benefit.