Author Topic: place your bids  (Read 1768 times)

actualfact

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
place your bids
« on: 28 November 2001, 05:34 »
what's your favorite flavor of unix?  least favorite?

wanna thumb wrestle over it?

CommonSense

• VIP
    • http://www.microsuck.com
place your bids
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2001, 07:28 »
FreeBSD.  If I could, I'd host this site on it.  Actually, we're working on that (or so I'm told by the sysadmin) . . .

Don't know enough to say what I like the least, though.

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
place your bids
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2001, 08:40 »
I

akil

• VIP
place your bids
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2001, 17:14 »
you all are gaye.  please.  bsd linux get out.  learn to be a man.  run solaris.

ChakanTGM

• http://crackice.cjb.net
place your bids
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2001, 02:10 »
Linux-Mandrake is the easiest to install, but Slackware is definately for the old-school crowd.

I use Linux-Mandrake simply because it was the only distro I could find at the Mall (besides RedHat, which blowz). Otherwise I'd be using good 'ol slackware, but I ain't got the time to Download it.

Anybody got a CD? Never mind. (-;
crackice.cjb.net

CommonSense

• VIP
    • http://www.microsuck.com
place your bids
« Reply #5 on: 29 November 2001, 02:23 »
When did Red Hat start to be considered as being so lousy?  I'm curious, because in 96-97 or so, it seemed to be the distro of choice, at least from what I was hearing.

As I mentioned above, I'm more of a BSD person, so if this is a stupid, obvious question, forgive me . . .

Ralisten

place your bids
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2001, 04:02 »
I've used RedHat, Caldera Openlinux, and Linux-Mandrake, and I happen to like Mandrake the best, as it recongnized all my hardware (with 8.1 anyway). I had more trouble out of the newer versions of Redhat lately.

As a note, I've never used FreeBSD, so I can't quote on that  

actualfact

• VIP
place your bids
« Reply #7 on: 29 November 2001, 08:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by akil:
you all are gaye.  please.  bsd linux get out.  learn to be a man.  run solaris.

yeah, like you could even admin a solaris network, tech support weenie.

akil

• VIP
place your bids
« Reply #8 on: 29 November 2001, 21:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by actual fact:

yeah, like you could even admin a solaris network, tech support weenie.

go pass out in a bathtub.  

fuckamandrake fuckaredhat  if youa re gonna run linux run slackware dont be a bitch.  who wants a gui installer?  not me.  

ip aka acutalfact aka jermiah rotshchild III

microsoftceo

place your bids
« Reply #9 on: 29 November 2001, 12:49 »
quote:

I dont think so. run IRIX.  :D

ChakanTGM

• http://crackice.cjb.net
place your bids
« Reply #10 on: 30 November 2001, 01:03 »
From what I understand, Mandrake and RedHat are one in the same (look at the install screen when under Mandrake. See the reference to RedHat?).

One reason that RedHat blows is the installation. It's hard enough to set up a working Linux box, especially if you use the USB ports. But throw RedHat at many computers, and you'll have a mess on your hands.

This is due mainly to the "Windownization" of many computer parts, particularly those made by Intel. But Linux programmers will never stop making compatibility a top priority. So I'm not too worried about it.
crackice.cjb.net

asdf

place your bids
« Reply #11 on: 30 November 2001, 07:15 »
quote:

solaris rocks. i just cant get used to those sun keyboards (supposedly the "real" unix ones?) with the caps lock and ctrl button switched. and the backtick where backspace is, and the backspace where backslash is

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
place your bids
« Reply #12 on: 30 November 2001, 11:52 »
Red Hat got a bad reputation a couple of years ago with a version that truly was the Windows Me of the Linux universe. Although it looks like they've gotten their act together as the new Red Hat has gotten some very positive reviews. Red Hat seems to be doing well to redeem its reputation.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Sinistar

place your bids
« Reply #13 on: 30 November 2001, 13:00 »
Anyone of you peeps ever herd of GNU? 'course you have...but how do ya feel 'bout it?

I'm a GNU-fan, and therefore I do my best to spread the good word.

So, to get to the point, if any of you fellas feel like trying something other than yet another corporate OS (eg, Solaris), try Debian GNU/linux...

It's a bit difficult, as of yet, to balance the Stability vs. Compatibility issues, but do yourselves a favour and check it out...
 www.debian.org

Also, try the hurd kernel...it's still...under developement, but it's nice to find out what our friends at GNU think a kernel should be like...

All hail open source!  ;)

actualfact

• VIP
place your bids
« Reply #14 on: 30 November 2001, 19:42 »
i've heard good things about debian, especially about its' package manager.

you do debian development, hm?

and of course i know and praise gnu.. .

how about openbsd?  has anyone used it?  i'm pretty sure it's the most secure os out of the box. . the developers basically have gone through every line of code themselves.