Author Topic: Music via Console  (Read 1011 times)

Agent007

• Kudos: 0
Music via Console
« on: 15 October 2002, 22:36 »
Hi!

Am using RedHat 7.3. How can i play mp3 files from the console? When X
server is not running? Also, is there a way NOT to make X server run
automatically during startup? (init 5)

thanks,
AMD Athlon processor
256MB SDRAM
Linux Distro - RedHat 9.0

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Music via Console
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2002, 23:04 »
On the runlevel issue, open /etc/inittab and change the default runlevel from 5 to 3.

On your MP3 issue, I think mpg123 should do the trick - never used it though. try mpg123 --help
Contains scenes of mild peril.

foobar

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Music via Console
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2002, 23:20 »
mpg123 works just fine. Just too bad it's not equalizeable ... i like XMMS better.

Tux, has your sig got anything to do with a M$ OS? Like in hacker attack? Or it is something deeper?
Linux user #283039

Gosh, I love Linux Quake.

DC

Music via Console
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2002, 00:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by -=f00bar=-:
mpg123 works just fine. Just too bad it's not equalizeable ... i like XMMS better.

No you don't - just look and see what XMMS actually uses for MP3 playback (preferences - input plugins. Yes, same thing).
GS/CS d- s-: a--- C++ UL+ P+ L++>+++ E W++ N>+ o K- w-- O- M V? PS+>++ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X R tv+ b+++ DI+ D+ G++ e>++++ h! r- y
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
We take a measurement, the wavefunction will collapse, and one of the bottles of beer will fall

foobar

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Music via Console
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2002, 18:25 »
You mean that it isn't equalizeable, or something else? XMMS does mp3 just fine, but you can't equalize OGG files (at least not with the XMMS that comes with mandrake 8.1)  :(
Linux user #283039

Gosh, I love Linux Quake.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Music via Console
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2002, 20:29 »
i have been having a problem of mpg123 hiccupping. of course i cannot just use another mp3 player since they are all frontends for mpg123. Even when i run mpg123 on its own, and even when i increase the buffer size to maximum i still get hiccups. I installed linux (the same verion, mandrake 8.2) on this laptop before and never had this problem, i wonder if my sound daemon is ill?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

DC

Music via Console
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2002, 22:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by -=f00bar=-:
You mean that it isn't equalizeable, or something else? XMMS does mp3 just fine, but you can't equalize OGG files (at least not with the XMMS that comes with mandrake 8.1)   :(  

XMMS is a frontend for mpg123 (and others).
I think XMMS provides the equalisation though, which bare mpg123 can't (you could of course feed the audio signal to another program, which equalizes, and *then* play it - like XMMS does - but I don't know if there are console equalizers.).
I have no idea why that doesn't work with Ogg, though you are right, I noticed that as well.
GS/CS d- s-: a--- C++ UL+ P+ L++>+++ E W++ N>+ o K- w-- O- M V? PS+>++ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X R tv+ b+++ DI+ D+ G++ e>++++ h! r- y
We take a measurement, the wavefunction will collapse, and one of the bottles of beer will fall