Author Topic: SRS-WOW effects for Linux?  (Read 1593 times)

Agent007

• Kudos: 0
SRS-WOW effects for Linux?
« on: 4 December 2002, 10:39 »
Hi guys,

Windows Media Player uses the SRS-wow effects to significantly boost the audio
quality for mp3's....This audio enhancement is made out especially when one has
a good speaker setup. I have tried out the audio enhancing stuff for XMMS (
there are about 3 plugins there) and none of them were good enough.

Is there something like SRS-wow for Linux?

thanks!
AMD Athlon processor
256MB SDRAM
Linux Distro - RedHat 9.0

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #1 on: 4 December 2002, 10:52 »
I don't know about that but if you are creating these MP3's yourself you might want to consider Ogg, it sounds better than MP3:

http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp#sound
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Agent007

« Reply #2 on: 4 December 2002, 12:17 »
Thats very true.....But, my existing mp3 collection is 1000+. It would be really great if i could enhance them with SRS-WOW or equivalent.

thanks!
AMD Athlon processor
256MB SDRAM

avello500

• http://www.suicidaltendencies.com/
« Reply #3 on: 4 December 2002, 23:33 »
from what ive expierenced with srs-wow effecys all that is happening is a gain of +6db at 35 hz a gain of +4db at 100hz a gain of +5db at 9000 khz and a gian of -3db at 1000khz. this can be accomplised with an eq. if you add a wide stereo emulation with a bit of a distant reverb with a short wash you should be there.
personally what ive found best fixes* mp3's is too use a gain of-5db at 12,000khz and a gain of -2db at 1,200 khz. if you want a good thump you should use a gain of +5db at 100hz for boom look to the 50hz region.
what the reverb accomplishes is to mask the nasty high end of most poor mp3's, or bad guitar playing     ive found that the srs-wow effects dont do much but muttle things up on high end studio reference monitors. you would be best to do it yourself. if you have the patience

thanks to linux frank for catching that khz/mhz goof. i was looking for new processors when i posted  :D    :rolleyes:    :D

[ December 04, 2002: Message edited by: avello500 ]

How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies

pkd_lives

« Reply #4 on: 5 December 2002, 01:42 »
You do mean KHz not mhz right?  ;)
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #5 on: 5 December 2002, 02:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by Agent007:
Thats very true.....But, my existing mp3 collection is 1000+. It would be really great if i could enhance them with SRS-WOW or equivalent.

thanks!

you should convert them all to Ogg Vorbis

[ December 04, 2002: Message edited by: The Master of Reality / B0B ]

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 5 December 2002, 02:09 »
The only problem with converting MP3 to Ogg is you are going from one lossy compression to another. The quality would be even lower than the MP3. To do it right you would have to re-rip from original directly to Ogg which should produce a better-than-MP3 quality audio file.

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #7 on: 5 December 2002, 02:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by void main:
The only problem with converting MP3 to Ogg is you are going from one lossy compression to another. The quality would be even lower than the MP3. To do it right you would have to re-rip from original directly to Ogg which should produce a better-than-MP3 quality audio file.

Some Slashdot folk said that if you encode it at a higher bit-rate, it sounds about the same. I don't know if this is true, though.

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: 5 December 2002, 03:34 »
I wouldn't be one to tell. My hearing has been going steadily since the my F-16 Crew Chief days. I have a constant ringing in my ears.

Agent007

« Reply #9 on: 5 December 2002, 10:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by avello500:
personally what ive found best fixes* mp3's is too use a gain of-5db at 12,000khz and a gain of -2db at 1,200 khz. if you want a good thump you should use a gain of +5db at 100hz for boom look to the 50hz region.
[ December 04, 2002: Message edited by: avello500 ]

Thanks for the info! A few questions:

Isin't 12,000Khz very high? I mean, the XMMS eq has 1KHZ,3KHZ,6KHZ,12KHZ,14KHZ and 16KZ. How is it possible to reach the 12,000Khz and 1,200Khz mark?

Were you refering to an external audio amplifier or something? I want to do this via software guys!

thanks,
AMD Athlon processor
256MB SDRAM

avello500

• http://www.suicidaltendencies.com/
« Reply #10 on: 5 December 2002, 11:01 »
just use the eq setting at 1oookhz for the 1,200 khz range. im not very familliar with the app your using, i gave settings that can be manipulated with most any common eq. of course that is what sounds best on my setup, you need to find what works best for your setup so fiddle around abit. the setting i gave should give you a good starting point.
i have found a number of audio programs at linux.org
they should be able to do what you need.
my expertise is more with audio then linux.
hope it helps
How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #11 on: 5 December 2002, 11:10 »
quote:
Isin't 12,000Khz very high? I mean, the XMMS eq has 1KHZ,3KHZ,6KHZ,12KHZ,14KHZ and 16KZ. How is it possible to reach the 12,000Khz and 1,200Khz mark?
He meant 12000Hz and 1200Hz. After all, 12000KHz is 12MHz, and that is way up into the 20m ham band. 1200KHz would also be more than half way into the AM BCB band. In any case, well beyond what you can hear.

Their fundamental design flaws are completely concealed by their superficial design flaws.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Agent007

« Reply #12 on: 5 December 2002, 15:19 »
Thanks for the help guys!!

AMD Athlon processor
256MB SDRAM

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #13 on: 5 December 2002, 16:59 »
my only hearing problem probably has to do with concentration. like if im listening to music, or trying to figure out what my mom heard/*i don't turn the tv on much, she thinks the phone is ringing and stuff*/ i can pick up on things most people cannot, but if im minding my business, i don't hear much. and i envy people that can't hear high frequencys, cuase my parents can't hear electronics, but i can tell if a goddamn crt is on or not/*and its obvoisely not in the same room, but it only works if i don't have my stereo cranked  :D , even if its muted. i can also hear when a crt makes that noise, the really high one. i was in the computer lab and me and one other kids asked at the same time, "which one is making that noise" and i proceeded to start turning moniters off in a row to figure it out. and the rest of the classmates though i was insane when i said something about the high pitch whine these things make.
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

DC

« Reply #14 on: 6 December 2002, 01:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by TheQuirk:

Some Slashdot folk said that if you encode it at a higher bit-rate, it sounds about the same. I don't know if this is true, though.

Of course it does. A 64kb/s MP3 also sounds about the same as a 128kb/s MP3, which sounds about the same as a 192kb/s MP3.

Sure, loss is minimized by increasing bitrate, but there is loss. Just rerip the stuff from CD. If you don't have the CD, either buy it, or, if a CD isn't available, convert it to Ogg (if a CD isn't available, it's probably a live bootleg or other low-quality file which doesn't matter if you rerip it - it stays crap). If you d/l-ed it from the net, a CD is probably available. Go to a record store.
GS/CS d- s-: a--- C++ UL+ P+ L++>+++ E W++ N>+ o K- w-- O- M V? PS+>++ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X R tv+ b+++ DI+ D+ G++ e>++++ h! r- y
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
We take a measurement, the wavefunction will collapse, and one of the bottles of beer will fall