Author Topic: A world of Linux...push ms to the gutters  (Read 536 times)

Marrio

• Kudos: 0
A world of Linux...push ms to the gutters
« on: 13 December 2001, 10:18 »
Title sound good? Nice fantasy eh?

Anyway, I've been reading some posts in the "microsoft in the News" forum and people were talking about students get started with ms and not getting a chance to work with Linux.

I'm a junior in high school and already fed up with ms. However, I'm at a position in not only my school itself but my school district where I can make direct requests to the big guy of technology in our district.

So what the hell am I getting at? I wanna see if I can get some Linux comps and Linux classes at the schools in our district, possibly even getting into the elementary (later on).

But I don't know a whole lot about Linux and was wondering if some Linux experts would like to team up with me to try and make a website that would be directed towards high school students, or younger, to help them learn to be great with Linux.

Btw, for any grammar checkers, I purposely did not capitalize ms because they don't deserve it. LoL...and to the webmaster, great idea this site is.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #1 on: 14 December 2001, 01:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by Marrio:

But I don't know a whole lot about Linux and was wondering if some Linux experts would like to team up with me to try and make a website that would be directed towards high school students, or younger, to help them learn to be great with Linux.

I doubt the "Big Guy" would approve but that site is already out there.  You're on it.  You would be surprised at the number of web sites (major web sites) that are running on Linux.  See http://www.netcraft.com/
However, sounds like you want to develop your own web site.  I could talk it over with my partners and possibly give you some space on one of our servers but I have a better idea... Talk your "Big Guy" into letting you "build" a new computer, install RedHat 7.2.  I don't know if you have a way to make this server available outside of your private network (at least you could put it on your private network for an intranet server).  Alternately we might be able to put it on our T1, won't promise.  This way you can get experience accross the board and it would cost you only around 500-1000 dollars to build a very nice server. I would be more than happy to help you make your server "secure" and to give you pointers on how to get started with PHP/Perl/HTML/Database programming.

I personally believe schools and government should not be running MS products at all (at least very sparingly). Our taxes would certainly be lower than they are today if that happened.  Linux/KDE/StarOffice would be more than acceptable in my opinion.  And StarOffice 6 is enough like MS Office that when you are finally gainfully employed would not be totally lost if your company used MSOffice as the corporate standard. In fact you would be a lot smarter because you would know when sending files to other organizations you would not *assume* they have MS products and send your files in an open/common format.  

This is another way MS has such a monopoly and are so rich and why I hate them so much (stupid users have a lot to do with this).  For instance: When Office95 came out Microsoft changed all the file formats and set the new format to be the default. Some companies upgraded to Office95 or got new machines and installed Office95.  Users created documents and emailed them out to everyone in the new Office95 format. Rather than training the user that everyone else in the world does not have Office95 because the old version of Office does everything they need it to, they instead force everyone else to upgrade as well because it was too painful to try and explain how to save in a common format.  Now Office97 comes out and everyone has to upgrade (not because there are any new features that are "needed" but because they need to read the files the boneheads are sending them).  Office2k comes out and guess what?.  

I'm surprised Microsoft doesn't just change the file format every 6 months and call it a "new version", they would be multi-trillionaires rather than just billionaires.

[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

gump420

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2001, 12:06 »
I hate to start paroting Apple propaganda on the Linux board, but I'd suggest Mac OS X for school use. Powered by a UNIX architecture with a carefully tested GUI. However, that said, I would certainly suggest Linux over M$ crap.

If you don't know anything about Linux, then a Linux for Dummies style book might be a good starting point. If you have some small knowledge, and you have a taste for something more in depth than go for one of those really big books on the subject. But they key is that if you are going to champion Linux to people who have never used it, you'd best set your sights on becoming an expert yourself. You'll be better prepared to avoid looking stupid if you do.
I can't get over you until you get out from under him.