Author Topic: HD failed  (Read 430 times)

beltorak0

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.angelfire.com/realm/beltorak
HD failed
« on: 20 December 2002, 05:25 »
My new 80 G harddrive failed misribly two nights ago.  In the space of about two hours half of the sectors turned up bad.  Good thing I never deleted the Ol' slack off the old harddrive.  I'm in the process of trying to copy much of what is salvagable off of it, but just about every file read fails.

Anyone know possible causes of massive:
Dec 19 04:13:45 dAn kernel: hdb: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=14188535, sector=14188472
Dec 19 04:13:45 dAn kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:41 (hdb), sector 14188472
??

When I find my Win98 CD i will begin the painful process of a fresh install of windows for my wife without most of the drivers I need.   most notable the screen driver.  I hope I can find one off the net.

I also hope I can get an exchange on this damn drive.

And I had just gotten a fresh install of slackware going just the way I wanted it to.  Not to mention the loss of approxomately 1200 songs I need to re-rip (of course I own the CD's...).

and only fourty days of operating two.

At least I kept a detailed root-log, including the entire printout of the mandrake-2.4.19 kernel config.  I was really enjoying the speed of the reiser FS too; gods that was fast... especially on a 7200rpm drive.

< bitch bitch bitch.>

< /bitch>

-t.

btw: what is the line I need to enter into XF86Config to get my mouse wheel working again?  I need to do another kernel compile to get to the reiserfs partitions...

i know.  i promised.

< /bitch>
from Attrition.Org

quote:
Like many times before, Microsoft is re-inventing the wheel and opting for something other than round.

-t.