Author Topic: I need a driver from another distro cd  (Read 424 times)

3eyes

• Kudos: 0
I need a driver from another distro cd
« on: 24 July 2003, 03:39 »
Let me explain. I can easily get online using Knoppix but not anything else it seems, particularly the rpm distros like RH. So is it possible for me to  copy the appropriate driver file from the cd to an installed rpm distro? If so, what file do I need and to what directory should I copy it? And is there anything else I need to do to make it work?

Thanks in advance.

Btw, yes I did search, but I coudon't find anything; maybe I don't know exactly what to look for. *shrug*
"Microsoft is a marketing company, not a software company" - Bill Gates

"I don't really support piracy but I am dead serious about consumer rights" - bwid_s_01

solo

• Kudos: 1
    • http://www.komodolinux.org/
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2003, 11:28 »
Are you sure your network card isn't being detected?

Its possible RH didnt try to use DHCP if thats what your using. To check, go to Redhat Menu->System Settings->Network.

Then click 'eth0', click Edit on the top toolbar, and make sure 'Automatically detect settings with:' is set to DHCP. Then click OK, then do File->Save. Now click 'Deactivate' and then 'Activate', and see if it works.

If there is no eth0 at all, then go to the Hardware tab. You should see your network card. If not, your right, it wasnt detected.

Now copying drivers isn't necessary, because knoppix and rh have the same driver base (give or take). they both use the linux kernel which comes with drivers for almost all network cards.

Tell me what model card you have and I'll tell you what driver to load.
Komodoware, moving Linux to your desktop.
http://www.komodoware.com/

3eyes

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2003, 21:54 »
It's an Intel(R) Pro 100 VE. All I know is that with Knoppix it just works and with RH & Mandrake it just doesn't.   :confused:  

It was the same way with the other computer so I installed Knoppix to the hard drive, carefully following the instructions. Now the cd-burner doesn't work, but it did before when running Knoppix from the cd. I'm really confused here.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
"Microsoft is a marketing company, not a software company" - Bill Gates

"I don't really support piracy but I am dead serious about consumer rights" - bwid_s_01