Author Topic: 64-bit viruses are here!  (Read 1423 times)

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
64-bit viruses are here!
« on: 31 May 2004, 18:18 »
quote:
Security firms say they've discovered the first virus that targets PCs running 64-bit versions of Microsoft's Windows operating system. Both Symantec and Network Associates have captured samples of Rugrat.3344, a virus that uses Thread Local Storage structures within the operating system to execute itself, "an unusual method of executing code," according to Symantec.

Article

Good job as always, Bill.    

Anyone else wonder why they named the virus Rugrat?

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
64-bit viruses are here!
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2004, 18:26 »
This is innovation, right?   ;)
Contains scenes of mild peril.

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
64-bit viruses are here!
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2004, 22:16 »
Once again, the virus that is windows gets outsmarted by the makers of quality virii.  :D
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
64-bit viruses are here!
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2004, 22:30 »
you know this is a proof-of-concept virus, right?

like most linux/OSX virus' are.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

KernelPanic

• VIP
64-bit viruses are here!
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2004, 23:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by Sauron: Troll Warrior:
you know this is a proof-of-concept virus, right?

like most linux/OSX virus' are.

Yes, I do. But everything has to start somewhere.

Also, you speak as if Linux has many viruses, I can think of 2 and that's pushing it.

[ May 31, 2004: Message edited by: Tux ]

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
64-bit viruses are here!
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2004, 23:57 »
Even if there were virii for linux, wouldn't they need permission to run to do any sort of damage?

Unless it was run as root, I cannot see it being a big problem.

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
64-bit viruses are here!
« Reply #6 on: 1 June 2004, 02:13 »
There are lots and lots of Linux viruses. Check Symantec's security site for examples. But most of them are harmless unless you log in as root.

solarismka

• Kudos: 0
64-bit viruses are here!
« Reply #7 on: 1 June 2004, 02:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by xeen:
There are lots and lots of Linux viruses. Check Symantec's security site for examples. But most of them are harmless unless you log in as root.

checks symatec's security site.  All of them are pritty much harmless, low in the wild and proof of concepts.

quote:
There are lota and lots of Linux viruses

Maby a dozen compared to the billions on windows.  I wouldn't say that there were lots but there are some that infect a really old package.

Even though this win64.virii is proof of concept.  Unlike the linux scene it has more of a chance changing into something that will reck windows yet again.

[ May 31, 2004: Message edited by: -=Solaris.M.K.A=- ]

"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

KernelPanic

• VIP
64-bit viruses are here!
« Reply #8 on: 1 June 2004, 02:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by xeen:

Most of them are extremely old and long made redundant - I don't moan about Win3.1 viruses.
Also it is questionable as to whether many of the actually are a virus, depends on definition.

PS. I'm not trying to say that Linux is infallable, I never have and never will.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
64-bit viruses are here!
« Reply #9 on: 3 June 2004, 02:06 »
Here's a good example of a Linux virus:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/linux.slapper.worm.html

I don't remember this one doing much however.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

solarismka

• Kudos: 0
64-bit viruses are here!
« Reply #10 on: 3 June 2004, 03:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by WMD:
Here's a good example of a Linux virus:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/linux.slapper.worm.html

I don't remember this one doing much however.

I remember that one. It was supposed to infect apache servers running mod/ssl and create the same type of sinario as Code Red did for IIS!

Never happened though.  IO believe it was because most sysadmins running Apache updated with the patch anyways.

but even then, I don't recall that sploit even working on older apache/modssl's.

Do you guys remember Apache_Scalp.c?

That was supposed to make a big splash.  I guess it did infect a few 100 or so machines.  I do remember a few OpenBSD machines getting that one.  It was on alldas.org.  Before alldas.org shut down.

[ June 02, 2004: Message edited by: -=Solaris.M.K.A=- ]

"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.