Author Topic: Test post from Linux  (Read 581 times)

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
Test post from Linux
« on: 15 August 2004, 16:06 »
Ok, there is no real point to this thread. I'm just testing out this installation of Linux on VPC. So far it seems to be working pretty well. All I need to do is figure out what sound card VPC emulates and install drivers for it so I have sound on this thing.  :D

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Test post from Linux
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2004, 01:06 »
That looks awful cramped...shrink the panel if you're gonna run it in such a small window.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
Test post from Linux
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2004, 01:33 »
heh, what framerates does glxgears get in that?
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Zombie9920

Test post from Linux
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2004, 01:33 »
Nahh, it isn't really cramped. the picture is just scaled down(origianl resolution is 1600x1200). You can hide the KDE taskbar anyways.    

I couldn't take a full screen pic because when it is in full screen VPC takes over and I can't copy a pic to the clipboard.

I figured out the sound card(it is an old SB 16 ISA) and got it installed &working but now Suse locks up on me. When I try to run it normally on my system and I install ATI drivers it will not boot(as with every other linux distro). I need to resolve it's VPC locking up problem as I feel VPC is going to be the best way of using it.

[ August 15, 2004: Message edited by: Viper ]

Zombie9920

Test post from Linux
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2004, 01:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by Sauron / B0B:
heh, what framerates does glxgears get in that?

I dunno, I haven't played it yet cause it keeps locking up. I'd like to get it resolved because I like that puzzle game with the ball that is bundled with Suse.

The Emulated vid card is an old S3 card so I don't know how well it will run. It ran alright normally on the Generic Vesa drivers on my real Radeon.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Test post from Linux
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2004, 01:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by Viper:
The Emulated vid card is an old S3 card so I don't know how well it will run.

I have this system:
Pentium 166
32MB RAM
S3 Virge
Zipslack 10

It gets about 15FPS.  :D   I think the Virge relies too much on the CPU (it's from 1996, after all) so you'll get more with a faster CPU than that.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Zombie9920

Test post from Linux
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2004, 01:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by WMD:

I have this system:
Pentium 166
32MB RAM
S3 Virge
Zipslack 10

It gets about 15FPS.   :D    I think the Virge relies too much on the CPU (it's from 1996, after all) so you'll get more with a faster CPU than that.

I'd probably be in good shape. Even though the emulator emulates an old sound card, old vid card, old motherboard chipset, etc. it still detects your actual CPU+speed and it runs at full speed. The system itself is running almost as fast emulated as it does in the normal non-emulated environment.