Author Topic: Whats so great about Debian?  (Read 480 times)

Agent007

• Kudos: 0
Whats so great about Debian?
« on: 13 December 2002, 21:50 »
Hi guys,

I'm running RH8, since everyone talks alot about Debian, I'd like to know the major differences between debian and RH8.

thanks,
AMD Athlon processor
256MB SDRAM
Linux Distro - RedHat 9.0

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2002, 22:51 »
Debian uses a different packaging system. it uses "apt-get" wich can automatically download package files which have a .deb extension. I havent used debian more than a couple seconds so i cant say much more.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2002, 22:59 »
ask creedon, he uses it.
the difference though as i have heard is that debian is not a red hat copy like mandrake is, it has its own package management system (that all debian users will say is superior to any other package management system) and so on and so on. why not go to debian.org and see what they're saying about it?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2002, 00:23 »
Red Hat is developed by a company, Debian is developed by the community.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

creedon

« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2002, 00:33 »
As Calum said, I use Debian.  The difference between Debian and the rpm-based distros is more than package management, although apt/dpkg is a great system.  There's a philosophical difference; Debian is a group of volunteers that have built the (arguably) most stable Linux distibution available.  Their quality control is extremely stringent; the "stable" branch usually will not crash unless the system has a hardware failure.  The more "cutting egde" branches ( testing, unstable) are somewhat more prone to crashes, but they still run very well on most systems.  It is perfectly possible to install Debian "stable" and never have to re-install; that was the original intent of apt/dpkg.  When a new "stable" branch was released, the operator only had to establish an internet connection, enter "apt-get dist-upgrade" (without uotes) and the system would be automatically upgraded to the latest release, with no problems like dependancies or software conflicts, all at no cost to the owner (did I mention that Debian is a FREE operating system?)
All in all, I've found Debian to be tehnologically, morally and financially a VERY satisfying experience.
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

DJ

• http://mypage.iu.edu/~dpjackso
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2002, 00:42 »
I know it probably not a GUI spectacular OS but does anyone mind posting/linking to a couple pics?

Dj
=)

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2002, 00:45 »
picture of debian, ummm, my setup normally included windowmaker and a few changes, and it is as graphical as any other version of linux if you want it to be
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

creedon

« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2002, 00:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by choasforages:
picture of debian, ummm, my setup normally included windowmaker and a few changes, and it is as graphical as any other version of linux if you want it to be
Agreed, Debian can be a complete CLI system, or you can get KDE 3.1 to run; it's all up to the individual.
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??