Author Topic: 2 soundcards in RH8, help me out guys  (Read 619 times)

binskipy2u

• Kudos: 0
2 soundcards in RH8, help me out guys
« on: 17 December 2002, 07:54 »
i have a sblive audigy 2 plat in my computer.. i want to dual boot , and i used to before i got new hardware and harddrive, with rh again..but..
when i did it the first time, there were 2 soundcards in my list in linux.. there is the one onboard.. AC97 which i DISABLED in the bios so i can use my sblive card.and it works GREAT in xp.. but in linux in souncards, when i do the "detection" theres a box that comes up with a tab with BOTH on it.. and NEITHER one works..
can anyone help with this? i love linux, still kinda a newbie, but I LOVE MY SOUND and MUSIC>.etc..
any help would be most appreciated..
"They were offered the choice between becoming kings or the couriers of kings. The way children would, they all wanted to be couriers. Therefore there are only couriers who hurry about the world, shouting to each other--since there are no kings--messages that have become meaningless. They would like to put an end to this miserable life of theirs but they dare not because of their oaths of service" Franz Kafka

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2002, 08:32 »
First look at /etc/modules.conf and make sure there are no entries for the disabled card. If there are, remove them. If that does not take care of it you probably have an entry for the disabled card in the /etc/sysconfig/hwconf file. You can manually delete the entry for the old card, or rename that file to something else and let kudzu redetect your hardware by typing:

# service kudzu start
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2002, 12:10 »
Just as a note, the "emu10k1" kernel module requires the "ac97_codec" to be loaded.

Do an /sbin/lsmod.  Do you see something similar to the following?

sound                  52320   0 [opl3 sb_lib uart401 mpu401]
soundcore               3440   6 [emu10k1 sb_lib sound]
ac97_codec              9296   0 [emu10k1]  
emu10k1                47712   1

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: M. O'Brien ]

In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....