Author Topic: Slackware kernel problem  (Read 410 times)

Abigail

• Kudos: 0
Slackware kernel problem
« on: 16 February 2003, 16:04 »
Ok. I was going to compile a new kernel today but it doesn't work. when i do "make modules" it says: Nothing to be done in <dir>
Leaving <dir>

over and over again.

I must copy a file like you do when you compile a new kernel in redhat right?

but which file shall i copy?

X11, maybe you can help me with this one?  

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Slackware kernel problem
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2003, 19:26 »
Were you tring to compile the new kernel in the same location as the old kernel?
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Abigail

Slackware kernel problem
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2003, 20:59 »
This is what i did:

tar xvfz linux-2.4.20.tar.gz
mv -f linux-2.4.20 /usr/src/linux

(I renamed the old "linux" to "linux1")

cd /usr/src/linux
make dep
make clean
make BzImage
make modules

beltorak0

• http://www.angelfire.com/realm/beltorak
Slackware kernel problem
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2003, 00:32 »
you need to make a configure before you can compile the kernel.  I assume you are trying to use the same config options as your last kernel, correct?  copy that config file to /usr/src/linux/config-something-descriptive.  then
Code: [Select]

I have a (pitiful) tutorial that goes thru the steps in (slightly) more detail, you can snag it here

One more thing -- more of a budding peeve than enything else.  Don't rename your /usr/src/2.4.20 to /usr/src/linux.  If you have a lot of "linux1" and "linux2"'s in that directory, it can be trying to find out which ones might be usefull to you.  Use symlinks instead.
from Attrition.Org

quote:
Like many times before, Microsoft is re-inventing the wheel and opting for something other than round.

-t.

Abigail

Slackware kernel problem
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2003, 14:31 »
Thanks you!

Hopefully that will work. I'm going to try it someday in this week  

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Slackware kernel problem
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2003, 18:50 »
beltorak, your tutorial is a lot better than pitiful!

i used it the night before last to recompile my kernel and it worked totally without a hitch. i followed your instructions and was grateful for your normal-english explanations of each step, and resultantly i successfully configured my kernel for the first time, having had many unsuccessful attempts in the past i was quite chuffed to say the least.

Thanks very much for your help, beltorak!

the only interesting thing is that i followed your instructions to edit that file in the rc.d directory and put a lot of 'ln' commands in there (which seemed very sensible to me) and on bootup i see a lot of 'ln not recognised' type messages. now i am using mandrake (which uses sysV init) but the thing is that even though it does gtive those error messages, it still appears to do the symlinking fine!     :confused:  
edit: oh yes and http://www.newtolinux.org.uk/wiki/index.php/How%20to%20compile%20your%20own%20kernel

[ February 17, 2003: Message edited by: Calum: Member # 81 ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

beltorak0

• http://www.angelfire.com/realm/beltorak
Slackware kernel problem
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2003, 06:38 »
cool; glad to hear it worked     did you use RH sources?

The "ln not recognized" thing might be because the PATH is not initialized when you are invoking the command, in which case you'll have to specify the path to 'ln' at each command: "/bin/ln".  Also, which file did you put it in?

Thanks for the other link; it's nice and to the point... very refreshing.
from Attrition.Org

quote:
Like many times before, Microsoft is re-inventing the wheel and opting for something other than round.

-t.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Slackware kernel problem
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2003, 13:30 »
nope, i downloaded a stock 2.4.20 kernel from a site in finland as per your instructions. i think my problems before might have been because i have never tried to compile a kernel with anything other than mandrake sources. i was walked through a red hat recompile on red hat 7.0 back when it was new, and it worked but that doesn't really count.

as for where i put the ln stuff, at the top
of /etc/rc.d/rc.modules like you said. but the thing is, it appears to work fine, which it wouldn't do if it really wasn't recognising ln, isn't that right? maybe i should stick it in rc.local instead?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism