Author Topic: Almost embarrased to ask. Gnome Themes  (Read 450 times)

doublefresh

• Kudos: 0
Almost embarrased to ask. Gnome Themes
« on: 20 November 2002, 07:30 »
This should be easy as hell.

Download themes from www.e.themes.org

Unpack Tarball into proper folder, use new theme.

I've tried for an hour with no luck. WTF???

I also tried some RPM Themes for Gnome. No luck

The theme selector even says you can drag a theme above the theme selector and it should auto install. It tries and it looks like it is but when i go to change themes they are not in the list of options. I tried rebooting and still no luck.

What am I doing wrong?

Mandrake 9.0 Gnome

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2002, 21:12 »
Mandrake just went from Gnome 1.x to Gnome 2.x in Mandrake 9.0. Are you trying to install themes for Gnome 2.x? If you are trying to install 1.x themes in 2.x I think you will have this sort of problem. It would be sort of like trying to install Windows 3.1 themes on Windows 9x.

I have to admit that I don't have much experience with Gnome/Metacity themes as I haven't really used Gnome until I upgraded to RedHat 8.0. I've always used KDE and Themes worked great with KDE. With RedHat they have this new Bluecurve Gnome theme that suits me just fine so I've never changed it.

I did try and install a couple of themes from that site you sent me and I think I get the same problem you get. But as I said, I don't have much experience with Gnome. Maybe some of the other hard core "themers" here can help us out. Sorry I couldn't give you a quick easy answer, there may be one. If you find out the secret maybe you could post it so we can put it up on the FAQ site.

[ November 20, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2002, 10:01 »
Did you install sawfish after the fact? RedHat 8.0 uses MetaCity in place of Sawfish as the window manager. From everything I have read, MetaCity is what Gnome is going to build on as the default window manager from here on out.

I have to give it to Gnome. They have always confused the crap out of me. KDE is fairly complex but much easier to understand. Luckily for me, RedHat has honed Gnome down to something that I like and don't see the need to change. It would be nice to have a FAQ though because Gnome is one area that I lack understanding.

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2002, 10:21 »
Those aren't bad. I think I like the BlueCurve theme the best for both applications and borders. The Crux borders are nice to. I don't remember what I stuck with in KDE but if you like flashy, KDE has some great features. I just don't care as much about the flashy stuff as I used to. Maybe because the default stuff is so much better.

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2002, 11:26 »
I don't mind making KDE and Gnome look the same in RedHat 8.0 but they fucked up the fonts in Konqueror somehow. On RH 7.3 I had installed the same version of KDE that comes with 8.0, except using the default KDE setup and the fonts worked great. So basically, Gnome was "good enough" for me to try it long enough to get comfortable with it and now use it as my main desktop.

I don't particularly care for the font thing that I know works in the stock KDE and hopefully they get that fixed when 8.1 comes out. If they do I will probably go back to KDE. I do like the menu layout. I didn't at first and I have seen several reviews that also cracked on the menus. Like everything, once you get used to where everything is at the menus are fine.