Author Topic: need advice...  (Read 989 times)

abaddon

• Kudos: 0
need advice...
« on: 22 January 2002, 21:42 »
i am one of those poor unfortunate people who has a new system pre-equipped w/xp and other ms- os's...
i am going fugbuck trying to deal with the compatability factors to using available software w/xp...
 ive only had this system 3 months and have had to do 7 system restores due to the fact that xp wont get along with systems that are supposedly engineered for it...  
 can anyone direct me to a simple os that i can run my mail and info searches with that doesn't make like a grenade every few days ?
i have msn as my isp for another 9 months, then i'll change to a local...
 meantime im going nuts ,what with sign-in problems and constant service interruptions and error mss.
 also who makes the best overwrite/ hd restore program out there? any help is appreciated...

radagast

• Kudos: 0
    • http://homepage.mac.com/radigastor/
need advice...
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2002, 06:23 »
You're really in the wrong section, but I'll try to address your concerns (with something other than sympathy which you also deserve):

1.  Find a good distro of Linux and learn it.

2.  Sell the PC and buy a Mac.

#2 is probably the easiest, but likely the most expensive route.

Linux takes a little learning and is not your "here you dumb fool do it my way OS."  On the other hand it works.  But it may suffer from operator problems if you are not acquainted with it.

Have you thought of wasting more money, throwing it down the rat hole, and buy Windoze 98 or something equally gruesome?

Good luck.  When there's only one monopoly (that's why it's called a monopoly) there aren't too many OS sitting around.     :(
"Saying Windows is equal to Macintosh is like finding a potato that looks like Jesus and
believing you've witnessed the second coming." --Guy Kawasaki

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
need advice...
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2002, 16:50 »
If you've already bought XP (which you have) then go and bootleg a copy of win2000 or 98 or something. Get a copy off of somebody. The argument is that this copying of the system actually spreads the M$ influence, but if you already run windows, then i don't see why you shouldn't get the choice to run older versions of the same thing for free, myself.
On the other hand, think yrself lucky! My laptop came with WinMe preinstalled, and oops! after a few months the 'amazing' system restore feature (ah hem) stopped working. No more system restores for me! If its buggered, that's how it stays! Look out for that tantalizing effect in yr own OS in the coming months   :D
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
need advice...
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2002, 20:39 »
Ha!  You've reached your "System Restore Limit".  You are now banned from using this computer.....
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
need advice...
« Reply #4 on: 24 January 2002, 16:14 »
"required .dll was found so windows has deleted it..."
Thanks M$!  :eek:
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism