Author Topic: You have to admit that, from a hardware support point of view, Linux still sucks.  (Read 2298 times)

Faust

• Kudos: 0
Hmm just saw your reply to my advice m505.  Strangely enough I do not have the time to read in detail pages of information about a video card I have never and will never use, especially when the user of that videocard is a:rude and b resumptious.  If you wanted me to think that you knew what google was then when you posted the thread you should have said blah blah "i have looked at site x, site y, tried g, didn't work, any other suggestions?"  instead of "hey doesn't work, dont tell me to try anything."  Oh and a TIA wouldnt hurt either.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
panos, what did that fuckass say and should i stop posting here again after only a day back?

christ this site is becoming a haven for the babies of the windows world. i'd almost rather hang out at windowsbbs.com
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
panos, what did that fuckass say and should i stop posting here again after only a day back?

christ this site is becoming a haven for the babies of the windows world. i'd almost rather hang out at windowsbbs.com

He wrote something like:

"Oh, this topic had been closed and now the almighty Calum, opened it up again to.. I don't exactly remember" but he was being extremely sarcastic. Oh, and at the end he wrote something like "Dude, you need to get out more" and stuff like that. I considered this to be nothing more than a pure insult so I first deleted his post and then he posted the same one which I edited.

Oh and NO, you shouldn't stop posting here IMO.    ;)

spencerpi

Get lost arsehole. It will take much much more than your brain dead comments to put us off.   :D  And by the way, we know about the world out there. In fact we happen to know more than you ever will.

PS: Here is a nice link for (l)users like yourself.   ;)  

PS1:
If you want to read what was posted here, check the screenshot.

[ May 28, 2003: Message edited by: Panos ]

spencerpi

If you are looking for a reason why Linux is not making it on the desktop, look in the mirror. It is because of rude, obnoxious people like you.

You should embrace everyone who is new to Linux and help them out, instead of scaring them away with your superior

Faust

Your very first post was sarcastic and annoying.  You asked for help, and when a fellow new user offered some advice you told him it was useless, when in reality it was good advice.  Then I, albeit rudely, offered some advice and links.  Your original post had given the impression that you had not seen them.  And on top of that how dare you insult Panos and Calum when these are probably two of the most helpful people here?  Newbies are fine, we were all there once - it's trolls like you who get annoying.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
quote:
Originally posted by M505:
If you are looking for a reason why Linux is not making it on the desktop, look in the mirror. It is because of rude, obnoxious people like you.

You should embrace everyone who is new to Linux and help them out, instead of scaring them away with your superior
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

spencerpi

Do you guys have a secret handshake ?

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
quote:

yes  :confused:

you couldn't get your vid card to work, asked for help, help was offered, but it wasnt "good" enough for you, so you through a fit? then insult Calum & Panos? you suck at the internet.[/disgusted]

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
quote:

No, we don't as you propably have seen from other posts. We do not however appreciate any kind of arrogant behavior.

Firstly, when you want to ask something please make sure first that you provide as much information as possible about your problem.

Secondly, make sure that you have searched for an answer to your problem on Google or any other search engine.

Thirdly, keep in mind that I and others included are not getting paid for any answers we may give you or anyone else. We only do it because we were in the same, if not a worse, position sometime in the past and would like to help as many people as possible.

I really can't understand what triggered such an angry response from you but we did offer to help you know and we will as long as you make it easier on us.   ;)

Doctor V

Nope, no, today I am very frusterated and all because of M$.  I tried to put windows 2000 onto a fairly new computer at work.  Gonna make the thing a dual boot.  I put win2K on there but it wouldn't detect the network card, and the video was all fucked up, and couldn't be adjusted.  I looked but couldn't find the CD that came with the machine.  But I knew it came with XP pro, so I decided to just go ahead and put that on.  But it didn't fucking work.  Would not detect the network card.  Piece of shit.  I tried putting redhat on it, worked like a charm.

The moral of the story.
Windows's superior hardware support is an absolute myth!
If you compare windows preinstalls to Linux non-preinstalls...duhhhhhh of course then windows will win out.  But if you take a normal install CD of Windows -any version, and one of Linux, LINUX will win.

So I admit, from a hardware support point of view, Windows still sucks!

V  

spencerpi

You're right, Windows sucks hardware wise because the one pc you tried it on didn't work.

That makes sense indeed.   :rolleyes:

xyle_one

• VIP
quote:
You're right, Windows sucks hardware wise because the one pc you tried it on didn't work.

That makes sense indeed.    :rolleyes:  

YES. i installed windows 2000 on a machine here at work. i had to manually install alot of drivers just to get it going. it couldn't detect the network card. annoying. redhat8, and 9, did detect everything, and everything works fine. yes, redhat8 & 9 are newer than 2000. so that argument is stupid. windows xp picked up all the hardware in my machine. windows 2000 is three years old. and if you are dealing with "new" hardware, then you are going to have issues. i'm all for talking shit about windows, but at least use your head. the driver database in 2000 is old. the driver database in xp is new. xp will detect & install more current hardware than 2000. the same with redhat9.

Doctor V

XP didn't detect, Red Hat did.  I think Red Hat has better hardware support than XP.  XP is the newest windows, and the machine had a -made for windows XP- sticker on it.  People always say windows has better hardware support than Linux.  I disagree, in my experience windows only has good hardware support if its preinstalled.  So if you want, we can go ahead and compare windows preinstalls to Linux preinstalls.  Linux supports all the new hardware except winmodems, which are modems where software is used to replace hardware components.

At least read posts before trying to tear them down.  XP didn't woirk either.  And go ahead and tell me what conditions we should use for comapring hardware support then.  Are we only supposed to use a Linux that was released before XP was for campairison?  That wouldn't be a level playing field now would it.  Linux has better hardware support because newer versions are being released much more quickly that windows versions are.

M505, go to windows BBS you troll.

xyle_one

• VIP
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor V:
XP didn't detect, Red Hat did.  I think Red Hat has better hardware support than XP.  XP is the newest windows, and the machine had a -made for windows XP- sticker on it.  People always say windows has better hardware support than Linux.  I disagree, in my experience windows only has good hardware support if its preinstalled.  So if you want, we can go ahead and compare windows preinstalls to Linux preinstalls.  Linux supports all the new hardware except winmodems, which are modems where software is used to replace hardware components.

At least read posts before trying to tear them down.  XP didn't woirk either.  And go ahead and tell me what conditions we should use for comapring hardware support then.  Are we only supposed to use a Linux that was released before XP was for campairison?  That wouldn't be a level playing field now would it.  Linux has better hardware support because newer versions are being released much more quickly that windows versions are.

M505, go to windows BBS you troll.

nice. then windows does suck compared to linux. it is easy to talk shit about a 3 year old os (win2k) against new distros. it is a relief to hear that xp doesnt stack up to linux in the hardware department. i was getting worried  ;)