Author Topic: what linux is best for me  (Read 321 times)

dwarf

• Kudos: 0
what linux is best for me
« on: 1 October 2002, 21:56 »
hey i am new here and i want to know witch linux is best for me and where i can download it(size don't interest me)

i am a noob at linux so i want a linux that is easy to use.

please help me

Centurian

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.darkmares.2ya.com
« Reply #1 on: 1 October 2002, 22:09 »
A good starter linux is Mandrake. I used 8.1 for like a year before I switched to Redhat. Mandrake is easy to use and makes a very good starter linux in my humble opinion.

There is a link to it on my website in the links section. I also have some tutorials on my site.
Later
Centurian

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

• Kudos: 125
« Reply #2 on: 2 October 2002, 01:44 »
To complement Centurian's comments i would have to say that the distro has to support your hardware out of the box so to speak.  If you are a noob you don't want to be messing around with the hardware not until you know what you are doing.  It'll only put you off.  Then you'll want to return to windoze.

As for me, i run Lycoris on my desktop and my laptop is a little picky so i will be running Mandrake 9 (when its out)since SuSE 7.3 didn't do the job.  With that i simply looked at the distro's hardware database and made sure everything was supported.

Incidentally i would recomend  www.lycoris.com  as a starter for yourself, its been KISSed (Keep It Short Simple) alot so it may be ideal for you.

Also being a noob stay away from the shit that is Lindows, don't trust it, nobody here as far as i know does either.  

Btw i'm new to linux as well so don't get the impression we are all pro's here, just alot of ppl speaking common sense.