Author Topic: Boot-loader still there when uninstalled Linux  (Read 580 times)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Boot-loader still there when uninstalled Linux
« on: 5 September 2002, 17:23 »
A friend has installed Lycoris Desktop/LX, but when he deleted the ext2 partition the boot loader still was there and there was no way to boot Windows...

Any ideas?

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #1 on: 5 September 2002, 17:23 »
Format the MBR and reinstall winders.

[ September 05, 2002: Message edited by: Tux ]

Contains scenes of mild peril.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #2 on: 5 September 2002, 17:29 »
Can you be more specific on how to format the MBR?

KernelPanic

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: 5 September 2002, 18:05 »
Boot off a Windows boot floppy and

A:>format /MBR.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #4 on: 5 September 2002, 19:13 »
This reminds me of something that I saw yesterday on TechTV. Now I *rarely* watch this show since the "buyout" but back when they used to be about 50% Linux they gave "fairly" good advice. So I was flipping through the channels and normally skip right past TechTV but I heard the word Linux. To my dismay they were about to answer this exact question from a viewer, "How do I remove Linux". Now Leo and Patrick *used* to be very pro Linux in fact Patrick used to make snide comments about Windows. They seemed slightly knowlegable and I found them entertaining, even if I could only watch half the show.

And this partitular question happens to be one of the most often asked questions I used to see from n00bs. You know what Leo's answer was? "Reinstall Windows and delete all the partitions". I bet he got that straight from the Microsoft KB!  Of course I chuckled and promptly switched channels thinking "losers". It is an "extremely" simple process and takes minimal time and someone who is the lead guy on the worlds favorite computer show should have known off the top of his head without breaking a sweat.

A friend of mine is a huge Leo and Patrick fan (not a computer guru and also a Windows user obviously).  A couple of months back Leo was in town at a local computer shop signing autographs and my friend told me he was going over to talk to Leo. I told him to ask him why they screwed up the show and ditched Linux like a car with a broken tie rod.

On his way to meet Patrick and Leo he stopped at White Castle and picked up some grub to give to Leo (he knew Leo liked White Castle) so he stood in line and when he got to Leo he gave him the sack of grub (which he was extremely pleased with) and asked him why they ditched Linux.  Patrick and Leo said, we would *really* like to talk about that but we *can't* (you know, sarcastic hint like meaning "hushed").  

Now my friend also happens to be a plastic surgeon and does boob jobs for a living so he also gave Leo a set of silicon boob implants.  They ended up on Leo's web site as the most unique gift they were ever given, and I believe part of the above story was also posted, not the Linux part (humorous side note).

Moral of the story is like everything else. Get something good going that competes with Microsoft or shows them in less than a perfect light and they will either try to buy you out or try to run you into the ground. In this case they were bought out (Paul Allen, cofounder of Microsoft did the buying). How do I start my own TV show?!?!?! Anybody want to join in this venture?

[EDIT]
Just found the mention of the boobs in Leo's archives and my memory has failed me. He didn't "give" the boobs to Leo, he had Leo and Patrick sign them and "kept" them for himself.  They did take pictures of the boobs and put them on the review of the trip:
http://www.leoville.com/mt/archives/005521.shtml
[/EDIT]

[ September 05, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #5 on: 5 September 2002, 21:58 »
That friend I was talking about said that Desktop/LX crashed twice... I think he's done something wrong, but I can't tell because I have to see his computer first...

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #6 on: 5 September 2002, 22:28 »
It's entirely possible that it crashed. But there are varying degrees of "crash".  I can't speak for Desktop/LX as I have never used it. I've heard it mentioned around here a few times. What's its angle?
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

KernelPanic

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 5 September 2002, 22:30 »
angle = noobified

KernelPanic

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: 5 September 2002, 22:32 »
I recommended it to a windows using friend and he said 'no, it's too much like windows'. I laughed till I cried and gave hima pat on the back.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #9 on: 7 September 2002, 17:47 »
OK, a friend at school installing Lycoris Desktop/LX part two:

He removed his ext2 partition and went back to Windows XP. He found out it was slow as hell compared to Desktop/LX...

He tried Blue Linux but was not satisfied. Than he tried to reiinstall Desktop.LX again and finally found what he did wrong.

At the end of the installation, you have to tell it that you want to install your own boot-loader, so that it's easiyer to remove Desktop/LX from the computer.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #10 on: 7 September 2002, 18:48 »
And here is a screenshot of his desktop.

Wish I could install Linux (stupid parents + greedy brother)