Author Topic: yet another interview with Willy Gates  (Read 723 times)

HPC GUY

• Kudos: 101
"if i destroyed you, i would only be perpetuating your legacy" - Me

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
yet another interview with Willy Gates
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2003, 19:27 »
quote:
Linux is what Unix was in the 1970s: a perfectly reasonable operating system. There's a lot being done with it. Of the two operating systems that are gaining share, one is called Linux and one is called Windows. And Linux is wiping up Unix's share while our overall share has continued to grow somewhat. Clearly, at the server level there'll be intense competition where (companies) like IBM put WebSphere on top of Linux. That's very expensive and we just put the app server into Windows. And then people can do the value comparisons.

Wow. He doesn't even try to bash Linux this time.

quote:
Remember, there are hundreds of incompatible versions of Linux. The fact that we call it Linux hides the fact that this driver works on this version, and this app works on that version. But there is a world where you don't test for binary compatibility because you don't have testers.

Um...thats not true. THere are thousands of Linux testers worldwide.

quote:
We've always tried to make sure that as we reach accommodations that our ability to innovate on behalf of consumers is not held back in some dramatic way. So far we feel good about our ability to innovate under the framework we're required to live in.

Damn it! So close. I was hoping for at least 1 interview without the word innovation. Had to be ruined twice in the last paragraph.

[ November 20, 2003: Message edited by: xeen ]