Author Topic: double boot question  (Read 328 times)

hnugz

• Kudos: 0
double boot question
« on: 30 August 2002, 04:36 »
I just installed red hat 7.3.  In the install setup, I told it to put the boot thing (i dont know the technical name) on hdb.  I have 2 hard drives.  One with win2k on it.  I installed red hat on the other hard drive.  Once I rebooted after setup I don't get a choiceof win2k or linux.  It just boots to windows.  How can I get to linux now?  Also win2k boots up WAY slower now.

hnugz

• Kudos: 0
double boot question
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2002, 04:39 »
Also if I open up my computer, it takes a REALLY long time to open up and show the drives.  The second hard drive is still listed.  Nothing is working smoothly at all.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
double boot question
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2002, 05:00 »
Since you installed the boot loader on the second drive it will never be booted from. You needed to install GRUB or LILO on hda (the MBR of the first drive).  Now your slow down problem would likely be because you had a second drive formatted for Window and now that drive  is formatted for Linux, good as gone as far as Windows is concerned. If you had part of your paging or Temp Files on the second drive Windows is probably looking for that (or similar) and has to wait for a time out, You could search your registry for any occurance of "D:" and take appropriate action wherever you find reference to it.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

sporkme

• Kudos: 149
    • http://sporkme.net/
double boot question
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2002, 11:32 »
drop to a dos box and see if it takes a long time to try and dir your d: drive

i'll think about this for a while and see if i can get you a way to speed it up--- it IS windows tho, coulda seen SOMETHING coming

which windows is it
just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
double boot question
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2002, 02:03 »
if you made a linux boot disk during the install, boot from it, then configure lilo to install on hda instead, run /sbin/lilo as root and bob's yer uncle, fanny's yer aunt.

can somebody fill in the gaps here, by telling him how to configure lilo to boot from hda?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism