Author Topic: Yellow Dog Linux  (Read 484 times)

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Yellow Dog Linux
« on: 2 October 2003, 07:51 »
I'm looking to run YDL on a Powerbook 3400, but I'm not quite sure what CDs I need. They have 3 ISOs on linuxiso.org, but zero description. Knowing that the distro is RedHat based, I'm guessing that discs 1 and 2 are needed for the install, while disc 3 is source.

Am I correct in this assumption? Do I only need to d/l 1 & 2?

Update:
forget it. I changed my mind after reading through the forums at linuxiso.org. it seems that Linux on Apple hardware is as hodgepodge and half-ass as it is on X86.

I'll stick with OS 8.6 on there

[ October 01, 2003: Message edited by: Jimmy the Shyster ]

Go the fuck ~

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
Yellow Dog Linux
« Reply #1 on: 2 October 2003, 10:38 »
Try Mandrake PPC

They have pretty good Hardware support on PC's.

or better yet SuSE is suposed to work great on Apple computers.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
Yellow Dog Linux
« Reply #2 on: 2 October 2003, 11:01 »
SuSE has a PPC release?!?!

where?

Mandrake and SuSE have MUCH better support for hardware configuration and all than RH does, IMHO. YDL is a RedHat based distro, and therefore inherits all of the Hat's annoying qualities!

[ October 02, 2003: Message edited by: Jimmy the Shyster ]

Go the fuck ~

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Yellow Dog Linux
« Reply #3 on: 2 October 2003, 11:20 »
Mandrake PPC worked out pretty good on my clamshell iBook if that helps. The install was a little funky as I couldn't boot into mandrake if I used Lilo. When i used Grub, it worked fine. I kept getting a strange error with Lilo.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
Yellow Dog Linux
« Reply #4 on: 2 October 2003, 11:40 »
is mandrake smaller than 3 CDs?

and what desktop does it use? I'd like to use a RH based distro because of RedHat's honestly superior (IMHO) desktop
Go the fuck ~

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Yellow Dog Linux
« Reply #5 on: 2 October 2003, 11:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy the Shyster:
is mandrake smaller than 3 CDs?

and what desktop does it use? I'd like to use a RH based distro because of RedHat's honestly superior (IMHO) desktop

I had 2 cds and used KDE & Gnome. Red Hat kinda "dumbed down" KDE imo. After using the full version of KDE in mandrake, and getting used to some of the features like personal web sharing, easy mounting of windows partitions (and how easy it was to use) I am not that thrilled with redhat anymore. I do like how consitent red hat made kde & gnome, but feel they could have left alot of the features intact.