Author Topic: X problems  (Read 1386 times)

Maniaman

• Kudos: 0
X problems
« on: 11 January 2003, 02:40 »
I recently swapped the video card in my Linux box.
Now when I boot, it keeps saying it's passed an undefined mode number. I choose 0. Afterwards it boots and stays at the command line. when I try to manually start X the screen goes blank for about 30 seconds and comes back to the command line with this message:

(EE) No devices found

Fatal server Error:
no screens found

The old video card is in use in a different comp.

Distro: Mandrake 9.0
I use my hotmail email on here to keep from begin spammed by trolls. If you want my good email address for something then ask... :)

LorKorub

X problems
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2003, 13:52 »
This is probably a stupid suggestion, but did you run /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config when you added the new card?
"American English -- the noble language of your superiors"

Maniaman

X problems
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2003, 17:51 »
actually I never. I kept trying to run /etc/X11/XF86config
I use my hotmail email on here to keep from begin spammed by trolls. If you want my good email address for something then ask... :)

Maniaman

X problems
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2003, 18:01 »
I ran what you told me to, Now, how do I get X to use that configuration file? It keeps using /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
X problems
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2003, 18:25 »
do
Code: [Select]

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Maniaman

X problems
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2003, 20:21 »
Now I'm having a new error pop up...

Fatal server error:
AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
X problems
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2003, 22:45 »
well there's something in your new XF86Config-4 that's not right then. if i were you i would run xf86config again and play around with the settings. try using default values and so forth instead of giving your exact make and model numbers. I have an ATI rage graphics card and it needs to be a generic card in the XF86Config, if i use the correct video card setting it has display problems.

remember to keep your old XF86Config-4 files and not overwrite them. The one you had before will now be at /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.old so if you do that 'mv' thing again, you will overwrite it. every time you change your XF86Config-4 file, rename the old one to something different, like XF86Config-4.crapcolours or XF86Config-4.blackscreen or whatever. This way you haven't deleted your old one if you want to roll back to it.

I don't know much about the XF86Config file to be honest, i sorted mine out by trial and error, which is as good a method as any in my opinion, as it lets you get your hands alittle dirty as it were. no doubt somebody else will come on here to help though...
good luck!

LorKorub

X problems
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2003, 03:53 »
quote:
I ran what you told me to, Now, how do I get X to use that configuration file? It keeps using /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

At the end of xf86config, it will ask you "do you want me to write it to /usr/some/where/etc. Answer no. Then answer no to the next two questions. When it asks you where I should wirte it, enter in the file location that is specific to yor vendor. I haven't used Mandrake a whole bunch, so I am not sure where they put their config file.

What kind of card did you get?
"American English -- the noble language of your superiors"

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
X problems
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2003, 04:58 »
if it's xfree 3.x it's /etc/X11/XF86Config and if it's xfree 4.x it's /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
X problems
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2003, 05:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
if it's xfree 3.x it's /etc/X11/XF86Config and if it's xfree 4.x it's /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

In Red Hat 7.3 with XFree v4 they used that scheme, then in 8.0 they went back to XF86Config (without the -4) even though they are still using XFree v4. Very confusing. The only thing I can figure is they shipped both v3 and v4 then where now they only ship v4 so they went back to a non version specific name for the config file.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Maniaman

X problems
« Reply #10 on: 15 January 2003, 00:13 »
I still haevn't had any luck  :(

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
X problems
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2003, 00:27 »
it may be a file called xf86cfg and its a graphical X config program
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

Maniaman

X problems
« Reply #12 on: 15 January 2003, 01:15 »
That fixed most of it. It's still making me log in from command line, and using KDE as the default window manager. Any ways to fix this without rebooting?

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
X problems
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2003, 01:49 »
Yeah, edit the /etc/inittab and change the initdefault to 5, then type:

# telinit 5

which should bring up a graphical login that should allow you to select which of the available desktop environments you wish to use. This graphical login will come up again each time you reboot (if you reboot).
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Maniaman

X problems
« Reply #14 on: 15 January 2003, 03:38 »
When I try opening that it tells me Permission Denied. Even when I'm logged in as root
Also... Now my resolutions are all messed up. I entered startx as my normal username and it loaded with a huge resolution...

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: usr/bin/Maniaman ]