Author Topic: My first computer experience (My first Mac)  (Read 1245 times)

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
My first computer experience (My first Mac)
« on: 4 April 2002, 09:18 »
Lowendmac.com has a feature called My First Mac. Why don
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #1 on: 4 April 2002, 22:20 »
Hmmm... faster than a P733? I find that a hard one to swallow but Im a Mac fan so I'll let it slide  :D .

Anyway...

My first computer was an Apple IIe with a green screen. My parents tried to get me to use it as an educational Machine and play Math Blaster and other such things but that didn't interest me at all. I loved playing Zork, Enchanter and other similar games. My bro. d-loaded tons of stuff from BBS's and till this day I have several boxes of bootleg games ranging from strip poker to gems like Ultima V and De Ja Vu.

Hehe... I still remember booting up Demon Dialer and my bro trying to explain how he used it to track down BBS's, he eventualy got me in to that whole sceen but that's another story. Anyone remember Softbeard the Pirat or the Gonif Wombat?

That sparked an interest in Programming and I began to teach myself Basic. Soon, sometime in 1986, I played with a Mac for the first time. It was one of the classic modles and I thought it was neat cuz you had the paint program. But I don't quite remember being too impresed by it (hell I was a little kid, i couldent quite grasp the technological inovation), I loved the glow of the Green Apple IIe screen (I love the emulator Catkig because it simulates the feel of those old monitors).

Anyway...

The first Mac I owned was a IIsi on which I could play SimCity and the 16 color mode always seemd so super cool. I remember my folks freaking out when I spilld water on the keyboard but nothing happend to the machine (thank God).

I thought that computer was fantastic and I emidiatly abandoned all my Basic projects for the IIe and wrote all of my fav. developers asking them what the heck they used to program on these modern marvals of computing. The overwhelmig response was C.

That christmass, my bro. sent me his Centris 650 (he had upgraded to a Quadra) and I got symantech Think C. Those were the days when Multi-media were big words, and CD-ROMs were just becoming popular. I still think the early CD-ROM drived that used Cadys to load were a better design choice.

That Centris till this day was the best computer I have ever owned. Me and her were friends and confidants. It never crashed and never gave me trouble. The entire structure of the machine was like a fine automobile, steel frame and studry engeneering.

So I learned C and time marched on again.

My last few years in High School I became interested in general computing and began experimenting with PCs (God, sounds like I was getting in to drugs or something   ), this was were I met the ugly abomination people called windows.

Man oh man, what a crock. But we all know how shity it was and let me tell you did I boot in to dos right quick. This was cool cuz it reminded me of my green screen ProDOS days.

In College me and a few friends of mine made a habit of dumpster diving for discarded computers. We rigged up all sorts of crazy machines. Everything from 512k Mac Classics to P100's. We loaded some with Linux, my friend Ed knew most of this shit. We used them to wreak mischiff around campus and other such things. A 486 box we loaded with Win 3.1 and basicaly ran emulators all the time.

As for my personal computer, I had an iMac 233. It was a great little machine but was never as stable as my Centris 650. The iMac crashed all the time, was a bit underpowerd and one day after a power outage my screan fucked up till it jitterd all the time.

Needless to say this was a low point. I hated that machine. (while I still used it to death and today it belongs to my bro. and acts as a fine webserver for him).

I now own a dual 800. This finely crafted machine harkens back to my Centris 650 days. Excelent. Well made. And a pleasure to use.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Macman

• Kudos: 0
    • http://macrevolution.cjb.net
« Reply #2 on: 4 April 2002, 13:28 »
*Macman stands up and addresses the circle*

My name is Macman...

*He hesitates for a brief second, then continues*

...and I'm a Mac addict.

*The circle claps almost too optimistically and Macman wonders if he should say more. he then takes his seat again.*
"The Macintosh may only have 10% of the market, but it is clearly the top 10%."

Macman

• http://macrevolution.cjb.net
« Reply #3 on: 4 April 2002, 13:41 »
*Macman realizes it's his turn and addresses the circle of fellow Mac addicts*

Well, I first started using Mac when I was a kid. My dad would bring home the old stuff from his work for the summer and we would use it as a family. It wasn't very good, but it was nice and simple.

I continued like that until third grade when I changed to a different... you know. This was more complex than the old stuff. I think it's called Performa. They call it perf on the street. It had a 7 os and even at my age I knew this was good stuff. The next few years were a blur for me and my family
"The Macintosh may only have 10% of the market, but it is clearly the top 10%."

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
« Reply #4 on: 9 April 2002, 07:01 »
My first experience with a Mac was in 3rd grade. From that point on I hated them. I then was forced to use B&W G3's in Photoshop Class in 7th and 8th grade, Hated those too. But I realized I was on the dark side when OSX was being developed and so was XPee. My switch to Mac was a combo os OSX and XPee, Hated one, loved the other. So I waited, and waited, and waited, and waited for about 6Months for the perfect Mac, Finally I got my beautiful Quicksilver G4 Tower with a 733 MHz G4 with as Ed discount for only $1250, what a deal huh? I was able to keep my wonderful 21" monitor, and am so glad I made the switch. Never looking back

P.S. for a while I was hoping I wouldn't really like it, because if I didn't like it then I wouldn't have to buy expensive computers for the rest of my life, but sadly I do now. But the over pricing is worth it.

P.S.S. I like to tell my Linux geek friends, use OSX and you'll be proud of all the work Apple did on it to make OSX

ravuya

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: 9 April 2002, 07:09 »
Dude, I never did perf. That was the low point in Apple's career. Got a lot of people turned off on it. Especially when most of the shipments were tainted, man.

Anyways, you got any of that nice pow? I got about 10 pounds of the net in my closet

;)

Um, anyways, I started with a Macintosh LC (It gets 1282 dhrystones/s!) and gradually moved up, through a Power Computing box, to an iMac 600 (I want to overclock it to 666 MHz just for the fun of it) and Mac OS X has got to be the most addictive operating system ever made.

Speaking of drugs, as a friend of mine put it, "OS X looks like a junkie's worst nightmare. It has the throbbing pill buttons, the hallucinogenic window effects, and the scaling and minimizing icons".