Author Topic: is it worth it?  (Read 1221 times)

smokey

• Kudos: 0
is it worth it?
« on: 28 June 2002, 11:32 »
I am thinking of buying a emac but is it good value or are they crap?   :confused:

[edit - they are really cheap too only about au$2300]

[ June 28, 2002: Message edited by: smokey mcp0t ]

//this is how I was born :)

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/mybrain

Tip for win98 (l)users: type copy /con/con in your command prompt to increase stability

cocoamix

is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2002, 18:53 »
What kind of things are you planning to do with your computer?

Basically unless you're a serious gamer, an eMac with OSX is a pretty good choice for most people.

Again, what are your needs/wants?

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
is it worth it?
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2002, 00:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by cocoamix:
What kind of things are you planning to do with your computer?

Basically unless you're a serious gamer, an eMac with OSX is a pretty good choice for most people.

Again, what are your needs/wants?

Id say even a gamer will get good power out of an eMac. WarCraft III only requires a 400Mhz G3 or better. The 700Mhz eMac is more than adaquate, especially with a good videocard. It comes with a good one BTW.

Also, you may want to get a tower. All in one units are nice, but a pain to upgrade. If you can locate one of the dual 500 G4's you will have a kick ass computer for under 1200 dollars that will do anything you want. Yes, even run top tier games at good speed. Also, this unit can be upgraded in the future should you need to.

That is my suggestion.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

smokey

is it worth it?
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2002, 05:29 »
I would get a tower but they are considerably more expensive an i'm not really a serious mac person. I think I will get the emac.  
//this is how I was born :)

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/mybrain

Tip for win98 (l)users: type copy /con/con in your command prompt to increase stability

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
is it worth it?
« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2002, 05:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by smokey mcp0t:
I would get a tower but they are considerably more expensive an i'm not really a serious mac person. I think I will get the emac.    

Good choice  

Hell, any choice is a good choice with Apple  :D
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

bigmuddy

is it worth it?
« Reply #5 on: 1 July 2002, 00:31 »
I posted a question and link on another thread (Thinking of Buying a mac...) related to this discussion. The emac seems to not benchmark well using a new bit of software for OSX. Any ideas?
Other World Computing