Author Topic: setiathome on OS X  (Read 899 times)

heljy

• Kudos: 0
setiathome on OS X
« on: 18 December 2002, 20:10 »
Hi all, I recently installed setiathome on my OS X, the one for OS X, instead of the command line which doesnt run on OS X.

Anyway, i notice that processing one set of data unit takes an incredible amount of time (about 20 hours on a 600Mhz iBook with 640MB ram). I know in the windows version, it will be much quicker if we do not bring up the graphical interface. How can I get setiathome for OS X to just process the data without showing that fancy looking graph (I ususally hide it)

Thanks

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
setiathome on OS X
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2002, 20:43 »
do they provide source code for it? (i bet they don't) because if they do you should be able to compile the text program to run on your OSX machine.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
setiathome on OS X
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2002, 20:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by heljy:
Hi all, I recently installed setiathome on my OS X, the one for OS X, instead of the command line which doesnt run on OS X.

Anyway, i notice that processing one set of data unit takes an incredible amount of time (about 20 hours on a 600Mhz iBook with 640MB ram). I know in the windows version, it will be much quicker if we do not bring up the graphical interface. How can I get setiathome for OS X to just process the data without showing that fancy looking graph (I ususally hide it)

Thanks

There is a command line version for darwin. Search the Seti site again. It's there somewhere.

Also, it's my understanding that it's optimized for AltiVec, so it will be slower on G3's than G4's. One Unit on my dual 800Mhz G4, takes something like 9-12 hrs depending. This is the graphical version as well.

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/unix.html

Acording to this, there is a command line version for OSX.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

heljy

• Kudos: 0
setiathome on OS X
« Reply #3 on: 19 December 2002, 02:37 »
I am only aware of the commnadline version of OS 9....

Well, probably its not optimized for the G3 processor after all... :(