Author Topic: Chimera rocks!!  (Read 1299 times)

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Chimera rocks!!
« on: 10 October 2002, 13:44 »
Holly molly!!

I am using Chimera 0.5 and it is blindingly fast!!! This is probably the fastest browser I have ever used. It, is fully COCO unlike mozilla, I can't wait till they got it up to version 1.0 . This is something else!

Soon to be my fav. browser.

WOW!! WOW!! WOW!!!

All i can say is WOW!!!! This thing is INSANEly fast!!!!!!

Java on it is solid so far. Just went to newgrounds.com and downloaded some of their biggest flash! It blocked all the crappy pupups but new when I was requesting a popup!!!!! I AM IN HEVEN!!! THIS IS THE BEST BROWSER EVER!!!

[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Pantso

• http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Chimera rocks!!
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2002, 15:25 »
:D  Yep that's what I think too! It must be the fastest browser I have ever used and it's still in 0.5!!

cocoamix

• Kudos: 0
Chimera rocks!!
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2002, 19:13 »
I LOVE Chimera, but I still use Mozilla. Mozilla is slower, but Chimera's contextual menus and number of preferences are really sparse.
I hope they add more Mozilla feautures in the next release. THEN it will totally rock.

ravuya

• VIP
Chimera rocks!!
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2002, 07:52 »
Does Chimera still fall over and die when you throw Java at it?

psyjax

• VIP
Chimera rocks!!
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2002, 08:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ravuya:
Does Chimera still fall over and die when you throw Java at it?

No

actully Java is insanely fast. It outdoes both IE and Mozilla. try going to newgrounds.com.

It loads up in less than a sec. And i have yet to see a more Java intensive site.

MacUser3of5

• http://notquiteyet.com
Chimera rocks!!
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2002, 22:21 »
*cough*Itoldyouso*cough*    

Actually, for technical reasons, I dumped Omniweb, and am full-on Chimera baybay!  ;)

I have come to abuse tabbed browsing like a mofo (tabbed browsing rules, btw), and I'm on dialup    Example : right now, I have three windows, this one has 8 tabs, the other two have 12 and 4, respectively... it annoys the hell out of my friends (I switch between them constantly)  

I can hardly wait for Chimera 1.0
"Let them call me a rebel and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul..." - Thomas Paine

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Chimera rocks!!
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2002, 06:24 »
Chimera will take Omniweb's spot as the premiere Cocoa browser.

It pulled me away from Mozilla 1.1, so, yeah. It's good.

But I agree with the sparce UI. It's rather annoying to not even be able to close a tab without heading up to the File menu.
Go the fuck ~

psyjax

• VIP
Chimera rocks!!
« Reply #7 on: 12 October 2002, 06:59 »
I just hit Apple+W to close a tab. It's faster than menu's or clicking. I'm a big fan of keybord navigation, yet another reason why I don't understand the "Mac's don't have a 2 button mouse argument", your faster if you use the keyboard anyway, and you can navigate the entire interface with the Keyboard alone, so who's complaining?

cocoamix

Chimera rocks!!
« Reply #8 on: 12 October 2002, 07:04 »
A message I posted on another board about Chimera and Mozilla:

I tried Chimera/Navigator again right after using Mozilla, and there are some things Chimera dfinitely has in it's favor:

1) It IS faster!

2) Using the zoom button really does zoom it to full screen, unlike Mozilla, which for some reason I can't figure out, stops the zoom about 200 pixels from the right of the screen, so that my desktop icons are still visible (Even if my icons are hidden). I have to manually resize Mozilla to get full screen, and that's a pain.

3) Chimera's  AQUAFIED BUTTONS!

4) When all browser windows are closed and I click Mozilla in the dock, it just switches to Mozilla, and I have to hit cmd+1 or cmd+N to open a new window. When all Chimera Windows and closed and I click it, a new window opens.
Personal preference I guess, but when I click a browser icon and no windows are open, I want one to open.

And yes, I know Omniweb has options for this too, but like I said: no tabbed windows? Sorry buddy. Won't use it. I especially like bookmarking GROUPS of tabs, which both Mozilla and Chimera support.

So, I'm back to two main browsers.

Main things I want in Chimera before I switch to it full time?

1) MORE CONTEXTUAL MENU OPTIONS.

2) The "view page info" option. That feature fucking rules!! (anyone who has ever gone to a page with a cool .swf or .mov file embedded in it knows it can be a pain looking for the file in the page source. With View Info, every aspect of a multimedia page is listed for your perusal and saving.

3) Skins (yes, I know about Chimericon, but I still like mozilla's skin options better.

4) Mozilla's NAV BAR. That rules too, once you get used to it. Unfortunately, most websites don't add the code to support it. It's easy too if you add simple  <link rel=> tags.

5) I really hope Chimera adds spell checking like OmniWeb. All pure Cocoa apps are supposed to have it. Even Photoshop has spell checking.

I still like both, but I will see myself moving to Chimera full time as soon as more features are added.

MacUser3of5

Chimera rocks!!
« Reply #9 on: 12 October 2002, 23:23 »
quote:
5) I really hope Chimera adds spell checking like OmniWeb. All pure Cocoa apps are supposed to have it. Even Photoshop has spell checking.

The problem with that is (this has been discussed in other fora) that to be spell-check happy, it has to have cocoa guts, and Chimera/Mozilla are Gecko InsideĀ™

What I want to see in Chimera:
More contextual menu ability

WAAAY more preferences/options... more preference panes (but that is a 1.0 deal, lets work on stability for now, I can wait    )

In the sidebar, there should be a history tab too(like omniweb) with the option of manually deleting certain pages out of the history.

In other words, more interface work is what I want.

More may come as I think of them.
"Let them call me a rebel and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul..." - Thomas Paine

MacUser3of5

Chimera rocks!!
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2002, 23:35 »
quote:
I just hit Apple+W to close a tab. It's faster than menu's or clicking. I'm a big fan of keybord navigation, yet another reason why I don't understand the "Mac's don't have a 2 button mouse argument", your faster if you use the keyboard anyway, and you can navigate the entire interface with the Keyboard alone, so who's complaining?

I agree completely. In fact, my browsers (Chimera, OW, IE) are lacking in menu buttons completely, I only have the address bar enabled. I navigate back/forward/stop/etc using the key commands. I like that, It's very well laid out (the key command layout, that is)... very comfortable on a laptop where using a right mouse button would be unpleasant.

I like the duality of mouse button + keyboard a lot, and is probably the main reason why I prefer Apple more than Windows, this combo (for me, anyway) works faster

[ October 12, 2002: Message edited by: MacUser3of5 ]

cocoamix

Chimera rocks!!
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2002, 23:56 »
Another minor thing I noticed is that when multiple tabs are open, and you're closing them, Mozilla opens the tab to the LEFT next, while Chimera opens the Tab to the RIGHT next.
I personally prefer Mozilla's way, but that's just me.
I think it's just something I'll get used to .

ravuya

• VIP
Chimera rocks!!
« Reply #12 on: 13 October 2002, 06:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax:

No

actully Java is insanely fast. It outdoes both IE and Mozilla. try going to newgrounds.com.

It loads up in less than a sec. And i have yet to see a more Java intensive site.

Bad ass. I guess I'll have to pick it up.