Author Topic: Microsoft Anyone?  (Read 1173 times)

billy_gates

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
Microsoft Anyone?
« on: 21 July 2002, 05:23 »
Who here thinks that what Apple is now doing is kind of what Microsoft did a while ago?

Making apps that are worse than many other companys' and bundling them with the OS or making them free.
I have a couple examples:

Sherlock 3 - A.K.A. Watson from Karelia

iCal - doesn't even directly interface with Address Book

Anyone can think of any more please post them, I might learn something

trc3

• http://www.sk8mafia4life.com
Microsoft Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2002, 11:00 »
quote:
Who here thinks that what Apple is now doing is kind of what Microsoft did a while ago?

Making apps that are worse than many other companys' and bundling them with the OS or making them free.
I have a couple examples:

Sherlock 3 - A.K.A. Watson from Karelia

iCal - doesn't even directly interface with Address Book

Anyone can think of any more please post them, I might learn something

As of right now im a little pissed at apple for this whole .net err i mean .mac and jaguar deal.
Although i havnt used 10.2 yet with the bundled ichat, itunes3 and so on, the diffrence between Apple and micro$haft is that you dont have to rip these apps out of the os. If you dont want them simply delete them and their preferences.

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
Microsoft Anyone?
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2002, 21:34 »
true, they aren't required like Windows, but they will still make other companies lose money.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Microsoft Anyone?
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2002, 02:04 »
I disagree whole hartedly. Sherlock 3 is just an extension of the origional sherlock. A utility which Apple pioneered. Sherlock 3 is basically the same thing with a few more bells and whistles.

iTunes is a wicked media player and dosn't impose restrictions or proprietary formats etc. like WMP. QuickTime, at least for Apple, is a bitchen format and great for streaming.

Unlike M$ Apple dosn't try and force compeating apps to not run correctly or have trouble. As a matter of Fact MacAmp is an excellent iTunes alternative with a few features (like recording internet radio to an Mp3) that iTunes dosn't even have.

Bundling of software to force users into your own OS and marketing etc. is very diffrent than what Apple does. Which is bundle products to make the user be able to do more  with his/her computer right out of the box.

If you can do better than what they offer, just throw it away and install what you want.

.Mac is a diffrent story. That sucks a big one. Jaguare however, is worth every penny. Some have been saying that it's what the OS should have been when it first came out, I say to those, YOUR FUCKING BLIND!

That's like saying that OS9 is what OS 1.0 should have been. This is leaps above what OSX was and it shows, just look at all the new stuff in it. I think it's a great value.

And who knows, maybe 10.3 will be 20 bucks like 10.1 from 10.0 was    :D  

EDIT:

Oh, another great App! iMovie! What's not great about this? A simple bare bones media editor for digital video. A great, well designed program, that a novice or a pro. can use for throwing a quick movie together!

I'll be damned if M$ ever offered anything half as good as this.

There is another major diffrence, Apple's bundled apps are pretty damn good. M$'s suck, except for FreeCell of course  

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

trc3

• http://www.sk8mafia4life.com
Microsoft Anyone?
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2002, 16:45 »
quote:
Some have been saying that it's what the OS should have been when it first came out, I say to those, YOUR FUCKING BLIND!

That's like saying that OS9 is what OS 1.0 should have been. This is leaps above what OSX was and it shows, just look at all the new stuff in it. I think it's a great value.

Well at first i was really mad about this Jaguar deal, its been a few days and i've calmed down, but i still think their should be some sort of discount or update price for those of us who already have 10.1.  But maybe when i use 10.2 i'll think diffrently, and after reading about Jaguar it does have alot of new features, some I want, some I dont.  

quote:
Oh, another great App! iMovie! What's not great about this? A simple bare bones media editor for digital video. A great, well designed program, that a novice or a pro. can use for throwing a quick movie together!

I'll be damned if M$ ever offered anything half as good as this.

M$ has Movie Maker HAHAHA!!!    ;)  

[EDIT]
FreeCell is the only app M$ makes that works right... Wait, M$ hasnt ever made anything I take back my last statement.

[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: trc3 ]

choasmaster

Microsoft Anyone?
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2002, 14:59 »
i still think that aisle riot kicks more ass, the only good thing i found in windows is the ftp client, the cli one i mean
id rather be on fire then use windoze

x86, a hack on a hack of a hack
alpha, the compaqed way
ppc, the fruity way
mips, the graphical way
m68k, the NeXT way
sparc, the reliable way

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Microsoft Anyone?
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2002, 20:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by choasmaster:
i still think that aisle riot kicks more ass, the only good thing i found in windows is the ftp client, the cli one i mean

Only because the FTP client is ripped off from BSD (you will find the Berkeley copyright notice in the executable).  And then they had to make it brain dead, it doesn't even return any useful exit codes if you script it!  I had to script it in Windows and the only way of determining the success of the FTP session was to redirect the output to a file and parse it for errors in your program. Duh!  At least in UNIX you can check wether an FTP session was successful by checking the exit code of your scripted FTP session.

But wait, this is in a MAC forum.  Never mind....M$ rant over.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
Microsoft Anyone?
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2002, 02:24 »
I went to MWNY (as press, no less), and after playing with it for hours, I think Jaguar is worth it, and so is .Mac. My point(s):

1) The finder is MUCH faster. It's useable on a G3/300 now (I played with one of the Iomega guys laptops w/Jaguar on it). And don't tell me it was before. I have an older Wallstreet, and it wasn't!

2) iDisk is also much faster, as they claim. I can't give you an exact benchmark, but it is much faster.

3) Sherlock 3 is just plain sweet. It is better than any other piece of software that tries to do what it does. Especially the movies thing, as I go to movies a lot.

4) iCal is OK. It's nothing spectacular, but at least it's simple.

5) Apple system profiler!

I could go on all day. So it could be cheaper sure, and they could offer at least an e-mail only plan. It would be way better if you could pay for .Mac monthly, as most people are only pissed because of "sticker shock".

M$ will do the same thing with .Net. Offer it free at first, to get you hooked, and then start charging for it...

cocoamix

Microsoft Anyone?
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2002, 06:31 »
The developer of Watson got screwed.
I'm glad I paid for Watson. I use it all the time.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Microsoft Anyone?
« Reply #9 on: 24 July 2002, 22:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by cocoamix:
The developer of Watson got screwed.
I'm glad I paid for Watson. I use it all the time.

I dunno. It seems to me that what Watson provides is a natural extension of a programm like Sherlock. They even describe their program as a companion of Sherlock, that is, to expand it's functionality.

It's a good question tho. I mean, to upgrade a product you must expand functionality, when the next logical steps are coverd by a 3rd party app. What is the right thing to do?

Should they have paid Watson? It's their system, and their fucntionality which Watson taps into. Perhaps such functionality was on the drawing board long before Watson.

It's a tough one any thoughts?
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

cocoamix

Microsoft Anyone?
« Reply #10 on: 24 July 2002, 22:42 »
The thing the irks me is that Apple had the audacity to praise Watson on their website, then blantantly copy it for  Sherlock 3 without so much as a mention or acknowledgement to Waton's developer.
I mean, at least when they put out iTunes, the hired the Soundjam developer.

I just feel bad for a hardworking developer who got steamrolled by a big company. It's true that Apple pioneered the use of an app to find internet info without a browser, but Watson totally expanded on that idea, and turned it into something better, while at the same time acknowledging that Sherlock 2 was where it all started. Apple did the same thing for Sherlock 3, but gave NO acknowledgment to Watson.

[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: cocoamix ]

pkd_lives

Microsoft Anyone?
« Reply #11 on: 25 July 2002, 22:33 »
Some people are upset that Jaguar is expensive, and bundles apps. You can't have both. To sell a bundled OS at a dirt cheap price means you end up with M$, people will buy the OS, and then use the bundled software, they will not be prepared to pay more to try other apps. What SHOULD happen is that the OS is sold without any apps (and upgrade prices offered). Then apps should be sold seperately, and then the apps can compete on the open market, free trade.

As for .mac, it is not what M$ are offering, but it's still only useful for small time users. Basically it seems to be a server for storage, that you can access anywhere, a good idea, as you may be able to use it as on-line backup. But it's pretty pointless, as after a couple of years it would be cheaper to buy yourself a cheap computer, and set up your own server. However if they start offering to run apps remotely, control (sorry *offer*) sites for your viewing. which takes away your basic rights of ownership and free choice then they should be fucking trounced, punched and kicked out on their asses. The theory behind .net is wrong and if Mac go this route then fuck them too.

I am getting worried about Mac's recent behaviour, because I am looking into getting one of their portable jobbies.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.