Author Topic: Xwindows  (Read 1144 times)

the_black_angel

• Kudos: 0
Xwindows
« on: 24 June 2002, 19:34 »
HELP!!!!

i have xwindows installed on my computer (MacOS 10.1) but i cannot get it to run at all i can see it sitting there with the terminal. I don't know what to do (very know to all this) any help would appreciated.

Also i have a copy of xtools installed and blackbox - how do i install/switch themes.

one last thing does anyone know of anywhere where there is a list of unix/bsd commands? that would be very helpful thanks  
--
The Black Angel

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
Xwindows
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2002, 19:55 »
hmmmm, what is your goal with X, are you trying to run a free gui on a mac, or run free programs on your mac gui?

and for the unix/*bsd is unix*/ commands, go buy a big thick book on unix and read it from front to cover. also if you now a command but want to know more about it type in a terminal.

man nameofcommand
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Xwindows
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2002, 22:28 »
Hey, that is XWindows you are looking at  :D

Xtools sux. Delete it now, XDarwin howver is awasome. If you are running XFree86 your set up fine.

You see, XWindows is what is called a windows server, it contains all the neceissary data for a gui, but requires a separete client program to deliver that GUI. This is where windowing enviroments come in, these are things like KDE and GNOME. The installation procedures for these can be found at www.fink.com . It is a bit of a pain in the ass. Also, messing with the X stuff is a pretty major adittion to OSX so be carefull and have all your voletile data tucked away in a safe place.

You don't really need to mess with any of that however. If you download some Darwin versions of X software that uses XFree86, things like the GIMP, and AbiWord, you can run these thrugh XWindows with no problem. Just launch the program from the xterminal, or duble click it's icon under OSX (some programs include a dubleclickable icon, some don't).

As far as UNIX commands, a good heavy book, like the O'Rilley book, or even UNIX for dummies is perfect. You will learn the BSD OS, more thrugh tinkering however. So learn the man command and look up "UNIX commands" on google, you will get some basic comands, like ls, ls-1, etc. This is a good way to start, don't be afraid of it, just tinker.

www.resexcelence.com has a great section on Darwin.

If you are interested in running KDE and GNOME, you can do so thrugh t he pure Darwin core. You access this from typeing >console at the login prompt. But don't fuck with that now  :D  your better off getting used to Xfree as a whole.

Another excellent site with resources that may help you is http://osx.hyperjeff.net/ , he has a great section on XWindows for darwin.

That's about it, keep at it, youll figure it out. It ain't all that hard, granted, Im a newb too    but I learn more every day. I think the bigest hurdle is that some of the UNIX commands are wierd and hard to remember, and yet, they are all pretty short.

Whatever.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

the_black_angel

Xwindows
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2002, 05:28 »
thanks - ive got blackbox and installed that but i can't get xwindows to launch at all how do i do this? or do i launch blackbox if so how. I'll have to go to the local books staore grab a copy of some unix book.

I did have a good PDF on unix from some uni but my brother decided that we didn't need it as he need more space to install redfaction. (1.2 GB?)

Thanks for your help peoples  :D
--
The Black Angel

chris_h

Xwindows
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2002, 16:56 »
you are completely all over the place and i don't quite understand what you're saying, so let's start from the top.

forget all that xtools crap.

Step 1: Install Fink

Step 2: apt-get kde

Step 3: apt-get install any of these packages you want.

There you are.  Let me know if you're still lost.

These pigs wanna blow my house down...

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Xwindows
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2002, 00:17 »
Fink is messy.

I say just use XFree86 and have done with it. You can install stuff ontop of that if you want.... that's just me tho.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR