Author Topic: Run OSX on x86  (Read 4839 times)

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #105 on: 14 October 2004, 23:46 »
quote:
Read it's comments.
It's probably untrue.
Not that anything that Apple does in secret has anything to do with this.

Yes, that's why I said, believe what you want about that. But Rhapsody x86 has in fact existed, since I have it on CD.

quote:
I stated(and still do) that this PearPC will never
replace a real mac and that OSX will never be fully ported to PC(remaining Linux and BSD as your best PC choice).
I've also explaint why this only counts for OSX and not Darwin(still not perfect on PC).

So you meant that OS X cannot be properly emulated on x86. OK, that I can agree with.

quote:
As for the price.
I bought a P4 for 420 Euro
My software and administration costs: 0 Euro
Can you find me a new Mac for that price?

OK, let me restate my point. Yes, Apple does not sell computers at that price, but saying that people who buy Macs 'pay a lot of money' is a gross exaggeration. And as the article I posted has shown, PCs equipped with similar hardware as Macs are not significantly less expensive.

And as a matter of fact, yes, it is quite possible to get a Mac for that price. First, find a Powermac 9500 for 20

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #106 on: 18 October 2004, 00:14 »
Because an hardware emulation is only about 10% efficient it sucks horribly at running new software, the only real use for it in my opinion is for running old software for example old arcade games. In general emulation is only good for running 8 year old software on. I know processors develop at a faster rate than this but memory access speeds are progressing at a far lower rate an it takes time to develop good emulation software. Apple have nothing to fear unless PCs suddenly become 10 times a powerful as Macs.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #107 on: 19 October 2004, 04:59 »
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

insomnia

• Kudos: 0
Run OSX on x86
« Reply #108 on: 19 October 2004, 06:38 »
CherryOS is a GPL violating copy of PearPC.

[ October 18, 2004: Message edited by: insomnia ]

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/