Author Topic: Why doesn't Apple design an operating system for PC?  (Read 1390 times)

bwid_s_01

• Kudos: 0
I was just wondering...Why doesn't Apple design an operating system for the PC??? That would DEFINATELY DEFINATELY become a true competition for microshit, and probably kill them eventually.

The main reason why the major public using Windows will probably never completely switch to Linux or any other PC operating system and say the fuck with microsoft is because there is not as many software choices for those OSes as there are for Windows. For example, I HAVE to use Windows because I'm a huge user and fan of things like Adobe Premiere, Adobe Photoshop (yes I know there is PS for Mac), Adobe GoLive, TMPGenc, Cool Edit Pro, and dozens of other programs that simply don't exist for any other OS. ANd that's why people will never make the complete switch.

There is however a great variety of software for Macs. However a lot of people like me refuse to ever buy a Mac because
a) Almost Every single piece of hardware in Macs are made by Apple, and I like to be able to have a viriety of hardware vendors.

b) Apple only has one kind of processor, one motherboard, etc.. I don't like that. I like to be able to choose between Pentium, Xeon, AMD, Celeron, etc.., GeForce, ATI, Radeon, etc..., and so on.

c) Finally, I HATE buying computers. The last computer I bought was in 1992. Ever since then I have only liked to buy parts and cases that I WANT, and build my own computers the way I want them to be. SO that's why I dont want a mac.

Now, everybody knows that OS X is an operating system far better, much more secure, and much much more stable than Windows. Especially since OS X = Unix = Linux (kindof).
So, I think that if Apple were to design an OS X like operating system for a PC, people would buy it. Especially since they would be able to dual boot with windows and linux, and use all the OSes together while they get used to it.
I think it would be successful and eventually maybe even bring the death of microsoft....

buzza24

Why doesn't Apple design an operating system for PC?
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2003, 11:41 »
All of those Adobe programs that you use on pc are avaible on Mac and are twice as good.

About the hardware, there are a few companies around that make hardward for Mac such as motherboards, CPUs and more. Plus Mac can be costum built just like the Pc.

I am a Pc (Linux and Windows) user my self and would love to get a Mac newer than the LC series.

I agree that Mac should make a OS for Pc but that would break the "Mac-Only Line". They have been nothing but Apple for years.Do you think it should stay that way?

--Buzza Buzza dot TK
It's Not Broken,
It Just Needs Repairing.
-Buzza

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2003, 14:14 »
Yes. Apple cannot be tainted by infidels!

excyle-the-art-fag

• http://fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2003, 14:58 »
Apple will go bankrupt like that old car company packard.
Developers Developers Developers Developers

gump420

« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2003, 15:02 »
Keep in mind that a very large part of Apple's revenue comes from their hardware.  Although a version of Mac OS for x86 might be popular, would it be popular enough to account for the loss Apple could face in hardware sales?

Bottom line, it would be a pretty big gamble.  However, who knows how large a portion of Apple's potential market wouldn't buy an Apple computer but would buy an x86 version of their OS?  As you can see, it's not quite so cut and dry as you make it appear.
I can't get over you until you get out from under him.

3eyes

« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2003, 22:05 »
quote:
c) Finally, I HATE buying computers. The last computer I bought was in 1992. Ever since then I have only liked to buy parts and cases that I WANT, and build my own computers the way I want them to be. SO that's why I dont want a mac.

I'm the same way. Both of my computers were originally cheap models that I've rebuilt, buying each part at a time. One only retains the original procesor, case, cd-rw and floppy; everything else in it has been replaced. And I'll probably never buy a whole computer again either, since they work so much better now and I can choose exactly which parts I want.

And simply put, I can't afford to buy a Mac. Buying computer parts and assembling them myself is the only way I can afford to have a computer at all. Now, I haven't applied to Apple for a loan, but I know I wouldn't be accepted anyway, since I keep getting turned down for credit everywhere else too.

So, for me, I only go to Apple.com to drool occasionally.
"Microsoft is a marketing company, not a software company" - Bill Gates

"I don't really support piracy but I am dead serious about consumer rights" - bwid_s_01

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2003, 22:11 »
But it IS possible to build your own Mac. You can even upgrade your PC into a Mac, if you like.

http://www.macopz.com/buildamac/index.html

You can also buy a customised Mac, and even exchange your Mac for a new one:

http://www.powermax.com/config.html

Here you can buy an upgraded Cube:

http://www.kemplar.com/apple_cube_ts.htm

[ July 24, 2003: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #7 on: 25 July 2003, 02:24 »
I do not want to fuck around with bulding a computer. especially when i rely hevaily on my machine to get work done. the mac lets me focus on my work, and not on making sure shit is running. i could by a dell or something, but the mac has been the most reliable system i have ever used. it is def worth the money. when i feel like toying around, i play with pc's.

3eyes

« Reply #8 on: 25 July 2003, 04:09 »
Oooooh, what interesting links!   :D   Thanks!
"Microsoft is a marketing company, not a software company" - Bill Gates

"I don't really support piracy but I am dead serious about consumer rights" - bwid_s_01

boris_cleto

« Reply #9 on: 26 July 2003, 20:09 »
If Apple did port OS X to x86 it would still only run on Apple branded machines. Apple is a hardware company. Steve went down the let's sell software road once before, remember OpenStep? The G5 killed any possibility that OS X would be ported to x86 any time soon.

Faust

« Reply #10 on: 5 August 2003, 21:06 »
quote:

a) Almost Every single piece of hardware in Macs are made by Apple, and I like to be able to have a viriety of hardware vendors.

^^^  That's pretty messed up by the way.  Even Microsoft doesn't dictate what brand of hardware I use, or only sell it's OS on "Microsoft hardware."  No offense guys, but Mac could put a much larger dent in Microsoft if they made PC versions.  Yes, it would be a risk, but it's a risk that could pay off.  Anyway all Apple has to do is make one version and if it doesn't work out, stop making it.  Or are we too scared to compete with Microsoft directly, OS to OS?
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

raptor

• Kudos: 56
    • http://calyptos.com
« Reply #11 on: 5 August 2003, 21:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Look at me dance:
Apple will go bankrupt like that old car company packard.

i disagree, the mac is very powerful when it comes to multimedia and graphics.

media wouldnt be media w/o a mac. windows sure couldnt do it the way apple can not even close.

apple has a very unique system, they are smart they have their own little digital universe that they can develop for and make good money.
"in a world without fences, who needs gates?"

Faust

« Reply #12 on: 5 August 2003, 12:05 »
quote:

when i feel like toying around, i play with pc's.

For me toying around with computers will be my work so I can't see the distinction.   ;)  

quote:

media wouldnt be media w/o a mac

Er what?  When I look at a painting, read a book or listen to a song I don't especially think that Apple computing was the principle author of that media.  I think that the artist / singer was the author.  You can claim that the Mac has useful tools for computerized media work but you cant really say that it changed the course of media.  Anyway what about beos?  Far better at sound work than Mac OS X, but Mr Apple CEO decided not to tell the beos developers how their CPUs worked so beos got screwed.   :rolleyes:  

By the way Linux, not Mac OSX was used for developing the following movies:
Harry Potter
Scooby Doo
Stuart Little
Lord of the Rings
Shrek
Toy Story
(and more)
Just so you know.    

quote:

they are smart they have their own little digital universe that they can develop for and make good money.

I would be far more impressed if they started making an impact on the real universe.  Come on Apple, join the proper fight against Microsoft, get down in the trenches for gods sake.  You arent going to beat the Microsoft whores by not taking risks.

[ August 05, 2003: Message edited by: Faust ]

Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

gump420

« Reply #13 on: 5 August 2003, 12:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by Faust:

I would be far more impressed if they started making an impact on the real universe.  Come on Apple, join the proper fight against Microsoft, get down in the trenches for gods sake.  You arent going to beat the Microsoft whores by not taking risks.

A common mistake is thinking that Apple has to "beat" Microsoft to survive.  It has been proven time and time again that Apple caters to a niche market, not the general populace.  Essentially this means that whatever the commom moron likes or uses has little to no bearing on Apple's continued existence as a company.

Oh, and btw the way, Apple is a business not shock troops.  They care precious little about anybody's idea of a "proper fight against Microsoft".  M$ makes money off of Apple's market, and Apple makes money off of M$'s market.  Neither one really gives a shit if the other lives or dies, they just care about counting them beans.

quote:
Originally posted by bwid_s_01:

Actually, no.  Apple makes the motherboard, and probably most of the integrated chipsets on it (excluding graphics).  That's it.  Pretty much every other part is made by somebody else, including *gasp* the processor.  Not really different than any other computer vendor on the market.
I can't get over you until you get out from under him.

Faust

« Reply #14 on: 5 August 2003, 13:27 »
I don't think Apple has to beat Microsoft to survive - I just wan't to see Microsoft beaten and I think Apple can help.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that