Author Topic: Apples Readies New Online Music Service  (Read 476 times)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Apples Readies New Online Music Service
« on: 22 April 2003, 00:34 »
Apples new music-service

quote:
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. AAPL.O  is  readying to launch an online service that will cut straight to  the core of digital music distribution, winning the praise of  some record executives who see it is as a weapon against online  piracy.

Music executives who have seen Apple's upcoming service  said it is simple to use, offers single songs from a deep  catalog and -- unlike Kazaa and the other pirate services that  have picked up where the now-defunct Napster left off -- it  pays royalties to the troubled record industry.

Apple's new service will feature songs from all five major  record labels, link with its iTunes music software and allow  for easy downloading to the iPod, Apples popular digital music  player, people familiar with the matter said.

The new music service is expected to be unveiled on or  around April 28.

"It's exactly the system that should have existed five  years ago," said one record industry executive.

i am looking forward to this. hopefully it isnt expensive & doesnt suck too much ass. it would be hard to get people to stop file-sharing though. so i cant see it getting real big at all.

bossesjoe

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2003, 01:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by ecsyle:
i am looking forward to this. hopefully it isnt expensive & doesnt suck too much ass. it would be hard to get people to stop file-sharing though. so i cant see it getting real big at all.[/QB]

true true, but the thing is, this service can provide cd quality tracks and you won't waste time searching for songs and trying to figure out whats real and not real

M$ is proof that capitalism has failed.-Macman

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2003, 02:04 »
if its not expensive, and it works seamlessly with itunes i could very well get into it. the thing is, i do not like most "popular music" so i think i will have a limited choice. maybe not though, we will have to wait and see. the article said april 28 right? cool. i can wait till then  

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2003, 03:44 »
Don't ever kid yourself i know a lot of people who are extremely loyal to their music groups. In fact i could probably name a dozen people that would use the service because it wouldn't be putting their artists out of business and it would still be faster and cheaper then going to the store.

And it better be cheap.
All your base are belong to us.

emh

« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2003, 08:02 »
Would the service be available to other OS's?

Pantso

• http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2003, 11:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by emh:
Would the service be available to other OS's?

That's a very good question! I mean, it would suit me just fine since I own a Mac, but I also use Linux and in fact a lot of people do. This would be a good opportunity for Apple to show how much it supports open source.   ;)

DJ

• http://mypage.iu.edu/~dpjackso
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2003, 20:43 »
quote:
FIRST MACS, THEN PCS?

Apple's service will only be available to Mac users, who represent less than 3 percent of the global PC market, but at least one music executive also expects the service will be available in a Windows version as well in coming months.

Taken from the above link

I too hope it will come to other OSs otherwise it will fall off and have been a waste of time

Dj

[ April 23, 2003: Message edited by: Engineer ]

=)

Pantso

• http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2003, 02:08 »
I wouldn't want to have anything to do with a service that will be available to Windows users first and not Linux ones. This is absurd and I only hope it's not true.   :(