Author Topic: wont recognize speakers...  (Read 599 times)

Tux

• Kudos: 0
wont recognize speakers...
« on: 26 March 2002, 04:43 »
hello, well this is my problem i have a dual 1Ghz mac g4 running osX and a set of logitech speakers. When i turn my comp on the speakers work fine, but then if i put the computer to sleep when it wakes up the speakers wont work. I have to restart to get them to work, i was woundeing if anyone else has had this problem or knows why its doing this or how to fix it...
thanks

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: Tux ]

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2002, 17:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tux:
hello, well this is my problem i have a dual 1Ghz mac g4 running osX and a set of logitech speakers. When i turn my comp on the speakers work fine, but then if i put the computer to sleep when it wakes up the speakers wont work. I have to restart to get them to work, i was woundeing if anyone else has had this problem or knows why its doing this or how to fix it...
thanks

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: Tux ]

Are the speakers, USB or do they work thrugh the headphone/speaker jack?

Also are you running OS 9 or OS X, when the problem occurs? What exact version of OS X, do you have all the new updates from Apple? Is your G4's Firmware updated?

Have you checked the Logitech FAQ? What modle of Logitech speakers do you have? And finaly Altec/Lansing makes the best inexpensive speakers in the world, they fill the room with high quality sound, I have had my set since I used an iMac 233Mhz   :D  .

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Tux

« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2002, 17:37 »
Well you pointed out may good points no i havent looked at the logitech page(im a little thick headed somtimes) but anyway im running 10.1.2 tell you the truth i dunno what model # they are or anything i got them from a friend for free so, well you know(imma lazy fuck sometimes). Also they arent usb they are through the speaker jack, and the only thing i havent updated is to 10.1.3 becuase i did before and had a few problems. So i decided to stick with 10.1.2 for now...

Thanks...

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2002, 21:52 »
quote:
Well you pointed out may good points no i havent looked at the logitech page(im a little thick headed somtimes) but anyway im running 10.1.2 tell you the truth i dunno what model # they are or anything i got them from a friend for free so, well you know(imma lazy fuck sometimes). Also they arent usb they are through the speaker jack, and the only thing i havent updated is to 10.1.3 becuase i did before and had a few problems. So i decided to stick with 10.1.2 for now...

Thanks...

That is strange, if they are conected to the speaker jack and work only before you put the computer to sleep, something wierd is going on. Check to see that the mac is not muting itself    (sound's wierd but have seen it happen).

One more thing, plug in some headphones, sleep your comp, and see if the same happens. If it doesn't, then I don't think its your computer.

I don't think it's the computer because the speaker jack is indipendent of software, and unless the soundcard is being turned off somehow (which I doubt), it wouldent be doing that. The speaker jack is at the end of the line, it's a simple split between the computer speaker and the jack, totaly separete from the hardware or software components of sound processing.

Does the system still have sound when the speakers are unpluged after you sleep the system?

Try another set of speakers and see if they work. My suspicion is that there is some hardware or compatability issue with the logitech speakers.

Also...

Here is a tip to help your OS X experiance. Do you have classic installed on the same partition as X? If so I would suggest you partition your drive and give 5 gig's to classic and the rest to OS X. You will notice a total perforamance increes! I wish I had done it when I baught my comp. the first day. It also seems to stop any buggyness from cropping up, seeing as how when the two are on the same partition Classic files and OS X files tend to get jumbled up. I wouldent be surprised if this somehow remedied your speaker problem.

One final note, does the same behavior with the speakers exibit itself when you are booted into classic mode?

Tux

« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2002, 03:45 »
Ok, well this is a little weird if i put the computer to sleep manually they still work when it wakes up, but if i let it go to sleep by itself after its been idle for 10 mintes they dont work when it wakes up...Also i havent tryed to see what happens under os9 but i do have them on the same partition but when i get the chance im gonna do what you said and give os9 its own little piece. Unfortunally i dont have any other speakers test it out on but the headphones seemed to work fine either way...

Once agian thanks for your help

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2002, 04:06 »
quote:
Once agian thanks for your help

Ya sure. Sorry I coulden't solve your problem, but if you got the money, it's still worth it for some Altec Lansing speakers. I'm telling you, they are way worth it and will never give you trouble   .

LukeHashJ

« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2002, 05:44 »
I know that with windows when it goes to sleep, some hardware will just stop working.. you can turn this feature off, of course - it might be the same thing... i dont know much about OS X (not anything at all, in fact) but you might wanna check you BIOS(?mac's have a good bios?) to check out the sleep options... or check the sleep options in the OS. Make sure any hardware sleep functions are off...