Author Topic: My loyalty falters...  (Read 3053 times)

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #30 on: 4 November 2002, 11:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tbar:
I have tried and tried to like linux and I honestly don't get the fascination with it.  I have tried Red Hat, Mandrake and another that I can't remember the name of off hand.  In my opinion, the GUI's suck, both KDE and GNOME, and, again, before linux person freaks out, a command line OS is a step backward.  In the real world people like it to be easy and able to learn it quickly.

Until there is a decent gui for Linux with tighter integration, I don't see you average small business owner or casual home owner switching to linux.  Speaking as a consultant, Linux is great is some respects.  But in the real world, i.e. business world user applications, don't expect to see "the secretary" or "a small business owner" or a "casual home user" to switch to Linux for some time.

As far as my argument for linux/unix needing a good gui, I suppose OSX is it.  I believe that OSX is the future.

Just an opinion.

I have to agree. The Linux Window Managers have a terrible GUI. They are nowhere as easy to use, they don't look as neat&Clean, They aren't as functional(despite what Linux Zealots say), etc.
I've already said this in another thread, but I think Linux looks and feels really Generic(what can you expect from a free OS though?).

Linux is great for a server because you can have the machine running 24/7 in like a closet, basement, etc. where it's ugly ass doesn't have to be seen anybody. If Microsoft ever went down I would jump ship to Apple way before I would even consider using Linux(a nerdy geeks' OS) as my OS. If Apple ever makes a good port of OSX(Darwin) to PC with Aqua I will definatley have a dual boot setup(Windows and OSX). To be honest, I think Apple would make alot of money if they would release a good OSX to x86...all even go as far as to say they would probably make 2x-4x the money they make now just by providing good x86 software and OSes instead of selling propriarity computers that only runs thier OS and a few Linuxes(or they could stick to both methods of sale).  

The only reason why Linux Zealots love Linux so much is because it isn't made by Microsoft and it didn't cost them any money. Linux has nothing great or compelling to offer a user that Windows doesn't already have.

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #31 on: 4 November 2002, 17:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by Macman / Bob:

This is kind of disturbing. What if Linux goes down in flames and all the Mac users that have converted to PC to use Linux are forced to start using Windows?

Linux wont die is the thing it cant and is impossible, its like "Nailing zombies dick to a tree, he doesnt have one" Linux has no center, even if all the Linux companys went bust, development would still continue.

slave

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #32 on: 4 November 2002, 18:03 »
X11 the ad in your sig is pathetic.  I can't believe you're helping to spread that rubbish around.  Please, think of the children!

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #33 on: 4 November 2002, 18:08 »
quote:
I have tried and tried to like linux and I honestly don't get the fascination with it.  I have tried Red Hat, Mandrake and another that I can't remember the name of off hand.  In my opinion, the GUI's suck, both KDE and GNOME, and, again, before linux person freaks out, a command line OS is a step backward.  In the real world people like it to be easy and able to learn it quickly.

Until there is a decent gui for Linux with tighter integration, I don't see you average small business owner or casual home owner switching to linux.  Speaking as a consultant, Linux is great is some respects.  But in the real world, i.e. business world user applications, don't expect to see "the secretary" or "a small business owner" or a "casual home user" to switch to Linux for some time.

As far as my argument for linux/unix needing a good gui, I suppose OSX is it.  I believe that OSX is the future.

Just an opinion.

Eventhough I agree about OS X's Aqua GUI, which is the best around, I don't agree with your remarks about Linux window managers. KDE and GNOME look and behave much better than they did in earlier versions! All you have to do is have a look at RedHat 8.0's KDE and GNOME window managers, that are now more functional than ever (and better looking may I add).

psyjax

• VIP
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #34 on: 4 November 2002, 18:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by Windows XP User #5225982375:
X11 the ad in your sig is pathetic.  I can't believe you're helping to spread that rubbish around.  Please, think of the children!

LOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOL!!!!!!

Surely, it's a Joke  :D

Coul'd you just link to it without the banner X? The flashing thing is rather epileptic.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #35 on: 4 November 2002, 18:46 »
Well if more people click it the sooner i go away, if i get 80 clicks i get one for free, and i see if its a load of shit. If it is, a big flame goes to the person making it, and a rant goes on my site (now theres a testimony).

It almost looks authentic... (The sites to crappy for it not to be)

So try clicking and buying one!

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #36 on: 4 November 2002, 19:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Czar:
Come on guys! How can you turn your back on Apple? Sure they're having some problems, but what's the alternative? x86, and that's dominated by M$.
And whose fault is that? consumers, that's who. mac fanatics cannot seem to understand the fdifference between hardware and software. it is quite easy really, but maybe it is because apple makes both that it is so confusing.  
quote:
Plus, x86 boxes aren't as elegant as Macs.
well that's an important factor isn't it! how can you actually even say that, when the box you put your computer in can be as elegant or inelegant as you like? i have seen plenty of elegant cases for AT and ATX size stuff, so what's the problem?
quote:
Not to mention kernel panics, processor overheats and massive electrical bills from running the machines.
You're having me on when you say that the difference in electrical consumption is a seriously different enough factor to make you want to buy a mac over a 'PC'. What's the difference in price between a macintosh and its equivelant 'PC', and then compare that with how long it will take you to save the same money in electricity bills?
And as for kernel panics, firstly macOS has these, second of all, if you persist in not seeing the difference between hardware and software then there is little point in me continuing.
quote:
The Mac is a superior machine. You get what you pay for.

True, macintosh is a better machine, and it is more expensive, but you must allow people to buy mid-price kit as well, otherwise we are looking at an apple monopoly, and that *would* be ugly.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #37 on: 4 November 2002, 19:06 »
quote:
 and, again, before linux person freaks out, a command line OS is a step backward.  In the real world people like it to be easy and able to learn it quickly.
that's why macs exist. macs are for middle managers and home use, unix is for nerds and scientists. => macs are for idiots, unix is for geeks. what's windows for?

quote:
Until there is a decent gui for Linux with tighter integration,
whatever that means... and what does it mean exactly?    
quote:
I don't see you average small business owner or casual home owner switching to linux.
do we care? linux is not a company. iunlike microsoft and apple, linux does not care if you use it.    
quote:
Speaking as a consultant, Linux is great is some respects.  But in the real world, i.e. business world user applications, don't expect to see "the secretary" or "a small business owner" or a "casual home user" to switch to Linux for some time.

see previous answer, however i am a casual home user and so is my girlfriend. she uses kde3 and i use XFce, and we are both quite happy with linux, thank you very much. linux and macOSX are not in the same market, they do not apply to the same people, the people who choose to use linux are different people to those who use a mac, and in the odd case where they are not, you can bet the reasons for somebody using a mac are different for the same persons reasons for using linux.

the GUI issue has blurred this area somewhat but i think that stuff i just said still holds true.

quote:
hmm, don't know about you, but i think monopolies are a *bad* thing. I am a person who thinks that having X windows as the only way of displaying graphics in linux is a bit iffy. there should always be an alternative way for everything.

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: Calum-21.2 ]

Zombie9920

My loyalty falters...
« Reply #38 on: 4 November 2002, 19:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ex Eleven / b0b 2.1:

Linux wont die is the thing it cant and is impossible, its like "Nailing zombies dick to a tree, he doesnt have one" Linux has no center, even if all the Linux companys went bust, development would still continue.

Oh no, I sure don't. Because I have no dick, I never have to piss either.    :rolleyes:    You are a god damn idiot man. I don't even get why I take my time to reply to the guy who has been deemed the newest troll of this forum. Why don't you go self promote your own crappy, poorly coded software or something? Oh yeah, that ad-banner in your sig sucks(I have it handidly bloced ;P). Go get a job and you won't have to rely on ad banners for $$$.

Is there any way that I can block Ex Eleven to where I don't have to see any of his spam posts? I know I can block getting private messages from him, but that isn't good enough.

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

psyjax

• VIP
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #39 on: 4 November 2002, 19:14 »
I have allways resented the "Mac's are for idiot's" rhetoric. That certainly is not the case seeing as how you can get just as technical with OSX as you can with *NIX.

M$ is for idiots, especially XP which has totaly done away with it's techie side.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Pantso

• http://www.support-freesoftware.org
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #40 on: 4 November 2002, 19:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax v6.9 /Dave:
I have allways resented the "Mac's are for idiot's" rhetoric. That certainly is not the case seeing as how you can get just as technical with OSX as you can with *NIX.

Once more, I totally agree!   ;)  You could even get technical with Classic, a lot more than you could with Windows!

Zombie9920

My loyalty falters...
« Reply #41 on: 4 November 2002, 19:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum-21.2:

True, macintosh is a better machine, and it is more expensive, but you must allow people to buy mid-price kit as well, otherwise we are looking at an apple monopoly, and that *would* be ugly.

Macs aren't better machines. Macs are behind in hardware technology. They still use slow ass SDRAM...while PC's are capapble of using DDR RAM(twice of what SDRAM is) and RAMBUS(has superior memory bandwidth). MAcs are still barely crossing the ghz barrier while our PC's are making it over 3ghz, and yeah, our fastest PC's handidly beat out the fastest Mac offerings. How fast are the IDE hard drive transfer modes in Macs? Don't they only do a maximum transfer mode of ATA-66 or do they actually do ATA-100 now? Sorry, PC's have the MAc beat there too. In PC World we have ATA-133 emerging and we are getting a new IDE standard called Serial ATA that will tremendously boost the hard drive performance on our future motherboards(it will be alot faster even if using an old hard drive on a new Serial ATA capable motherboard). Macs have firewire, big deal. We have Firewire and we also have USB 2.0(which happens to be a little faster than Firewire).

The PC market isn't controled by one company(Apple tries to control the hardware and software market...at least MS only controls software ;P), you can build your own PC easily, and you can easily upgrade stuff in your PC. Say next year you want to slap a 5ghz CPU in your machine to replace your already fast 3ghz CPU. Ok, no problem..you just pull out your old CPU and put the new one in(unless you are getting a different type of CPU..then you will need a motherboard which isn't all that expensive).

With a Mac, what do you do when you want to upgrade that pathetic 800mhz machine? You can't just put a new CPU into it because the CPU happens to be soddered on the motherboard(like some old 386's and 486's used to be). I guess you just throw your existing machine in the trash or give it to a bum and go buy a whole new machine just to upgrade your processor speed.

Saying the MAc is elegant is BS. You can get PC cases that look just as good as or look even better than a Mac's case. PC people tend to be more crafty than MAccies too. If we don't like the way our case looks we simply pull out the dremel and a few other tools and we mod our cases. I think it is a good thing that all PC's don't look alike and I think it would suck if every household had a Mac because there would be no variety in computer looks other than the little variety that Apple gives you.

Macs are overpriced and overrated for what they really are(they are out dated).

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #42 on: 4 November 2002, 19:57 »
ho hum. zombie 90210, why is it that you never answer any of my serious posts? even you should be able to see that this one was just a bit tongue in cheek. you always seem to want me to get down to the nitty gritty, and then when i do, you fail to respond.

also, what does 'handidly' mean? (you used it in your last two posts).

Zombie9920

My loyalty falters...
« Reply #43 on: 4 November 2002, 20:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum-21.2:
ho hum. zombie 90210, why is it that you never answer any of my serious posts? even you should be able to see that this one was just a bit tongue in cheek. you always seem to want me to get down to the nitty gritty, and then when i do, you fail to respond.

also, what does 'handidly' mean? (you used it in your last two posts).

Doh, I meant to put handily. I probably mis-spelled both times because I always type as fast as I can and I don't take time to proof-read my posts. ;P

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #44 on: 4 November 2002, 20:09 »
and as for my other question? or will you evade that as well in true zombie90210 style?