Author Topic: My loyalty falters...  (Read 3054 times)

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #60 on: 5 November 2002, 12:10 »
yes! that's the very reason why I'll never be able to leave the Mac behind now that I've had one.

Take one look at websites like lowendmac.com, applefritter.com, places like that, and you'll see that we're not just a bunch of users, or a bunch of geeks, but people with a common tie.

I might not be a Mac Evangelist anymore, but I'm no less of a Mac lover. Apple, I think, is having an identity crisis. They're caught between being a boutique consumer oriented company and a high-end workstation maker.

They've got the hardware and the software... but they're not able to get the word out.
Go the fuck ~

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #61 on: 5 November 2002, 14:35 »
oh, shit, calum, i'm sorry. i clicked the "edit" button instead of the "quote" button and it looks like i overwrote your post. really, really, really stupid of me.

- rav

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: Ravuya ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #62 on: 5 November 2002, 15:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ravuya:
Well, since I made my initial post I went out and tried to rediscover why it is why I use a Mac. Guess why? It isn't the software, it isn't the hardware, it isn't even the company. It's the community involved with it.

We have this whole kind of us-against-the-world thing going on that's really great. Mac users are quirky, offbeat, and oftentimes some of the most technically proficient and funny people I have ever met.

So, if for no other reason than the community that churns out hacks, games and great new inventions, I'm not going to leave the Mac, because I remember what happened the last time I did... The Registry. (shudders)

Re: Macs for idiots, UNIX for geeks, what is Windows for?
Windows is for retards.

Amen to that too!   :D

cocoamix

• Kudos: 0
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #63 on: 5 November 2002, 18:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax v6.9 /Dave:

Here, Here!

Tell it like it is, brother!
By and large, the Mac community is just that: a community.
By and large a nice, helpful bunch. Only a Mac user knows what it's like to spot a sign of a Mac user on the street, like a bumper sticker, pulling beside them, giving a tumbs up, and having the other guy know immediately what you're giving him the thumbs up for.
 I swear, do you ever see a Windoze user go up to another one and say, "Oh, cool, another PC user! Microsoft rocks."

There's a reason Mac users love their OS and community so much. PC users will never get that part.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #64 on: 5 November 2002, 19:58 »
'PC' users. listen to yourselves. no wonder you all think the rest of the world's against you, and no wonder OSX is based on BSD, comparing some of the smug comments to those voiced by users of the various BSD systems.

cocoamix

My loyalty falters...
« Reply #65 on: 5 November 2002, 20:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum & his insidious little spies:
'PC' users. listen to yourselves. no wonder you all think the rest of the world's against you, and no wonder OSX is based on BSD, comparing some of the smug comments to those voiced by users of the various BSD systems.

So what makes you think the term "PC users"  was meant as a derogatory statement?
Should I have said "non-Mac users?"
Was there a more concise way for me to identify people who use PC's than "PC user?"

And since when is it smug to simply state that you belong to a friendly community?

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #66 on: 5 November 2002, 22:40 »
"PC user" isn't PC.

It should be "Person of IBM-compatiblity"
Go the fuck ~

cocoamix

My loyalty falters...
« Reply #67 on: 5 November 2002, 22:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Jimmy James X 10.3.6 / Bob:

Hey, if my Mac has an IBM Copper G3, that would include me too!  :D

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #68 on: 6 November 2002, 02:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:

Firstly, as a Mac user I really don't feel that the rest of the world is against me. I think you misinterpreted cocoamix's post. All he meant to say was that the Mac community has stronger bonds compared to the Windows community. I also think that the same applies to the Linux community as well.  

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #69 on: 6 November 2002, 02:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by cocoamix:

So what makes you think the term "PC users"  was meant as a derogatory statement?
Should I have said "non-Mac users?"
Was there a more concise way for me to identify people who use PC's than "PC user?"

And since when is it smug to simply state that you belong to a friendly community?

macs are PCs just as much as any other microcomputer. non mac users is much better. and it is smug to say the whole world is against you. making you all gang up against it.

No offence intended, by the way to anybody but i just feel like it's easy to sometimes forget there's a whole world out there.

Tbar

My loyalty falters...
« Reply #70 on: 6 November 2002, 21:01 »
quote:
"PC user" isn't PC.

How about "Finder Challenged"  lol just a thought.

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #71 on: 7 November 2002, 12:20 »
My opinion of macs. I want an Os that is fully customizable, powerful, efficient, inexpensive, and able to do what I need. I like the fact that Mac Os X is *nix based and easy to use, but at the same time it is proprietary, closed source, and expensive. If someone were to sell me a mac for cheap, I would format the hard drive and install linux on it. Maybe Im a linux purist, but I truly believe in the merits of the GPL.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #72 on: 7 November 2002, 12:57 »
i do too.
i think apple have been permanently confused from the start. the problem is that steve jobs has really been actively trying to push the company along his personal line of preference since the start when really, i don't think that's what apple would (or maybe even should) have been doing.

However they have realised the GUI concept very well, and they have taken *ix further in terms of the GUI than anybody else ever. Still, the next real step in computer innovation will come from a collaborative effort (and currently this means open source community), since the development costs to make a truly great leap are too much for any one company (even IBM given its internal structure) to bear.

Who will be the next Xerox PARC? could be you and me if we get involved...

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #73 on: 8 November 2002, 03:29 »
quote:
I'm doing what was, just a few months ago... unthinkable. I'm going to buy a friend's used PC.

I'm getting it with the intention of running Linux on it, but the scary part is... I'm actively looking at ways that I could make it my... main computer, displacing my beloved iMac.

Why, do you ask? While I love Macs, more and more, I find myself driven toward the Old World hardware (Beige G3, Wallstreet Powerbook and before) and find it to be better than current offerings. The older machines were simply better made, better designed, and IMHO, just better computers than what Apple makes now.

For the era they existed in, the old school Macs were the pinnacle of desktop or portable computing. Today, a Mac is just a novelty. I have an iMac, yay. I can run Mac OS X, which is great, but I could run Linux on a PC and get the same stability, more speed, and at a lower cost. I wanted an iBook, but I'm not paying $1500 to get an extra 200MHz, a DVD drive, a tiny screen, a relatively small HD, and pissing 128MB of RAM.

Well, it's been an interesting year or two as a "die-hard" Mac fan, but those days are numbered. I'll just finally become an uber-geek who has no true preference for anything... just gimme a damn computer, as long as it don't run Windows!

I'm not leaving you fellow Macheads, by any means. I'm just no longer crusading for only the Mac. I'm now crusading for UNIX. I just happen to think that OS X is THE BEST UNIX on the planet.

I have a simple solution:

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #74 on: 8 November 2002, 03:54 »
Jobs might be Mr. Apple, but he still sucks.

And I have bucked up! I'm still fighting the good fight, but it's a more general "good fight". Macs still happen to be the platform I push if people want something they can love and use. cos... IT'S DA BEST

I just wanna run Linux too!
Go the fuck ~