Author Topic: AAAAHHHHH!!!!!  (Read 583 times)

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
AAAAHHHHH!!!!!
« on: 5 December 2002, 21:59 »
<TALK_ABOUT_SELF_IN_THIRD_PERSON>
the package had arrived in the mail a day early, choas was overjoyed when he brought the big box to his room and took out his latest aquisition,  a powermac 9500, but his euphoria quickly went back down to the normal anger and frustration he normally lives with, for the video connecters were of unknown origin, alien to the x86 veteran. for it was a wide connecter, yes 15 pins did it contain, but only in two rows not 3. why he though, so he looked, to see and learn the real reason macs know what was put on them, a simple converter he though "i know i could build one, even if i had to go to ratshack" but try as he might, no ride did he get. after looking around the house for parts and being repeatedly denied use of them. to this forum he did come
</TALK_ABOUT_SELF_IN_THIRD_PERSON>

just wondering, how bad is a home made converter? and would something like a pci radeon, or pci geforce card work thit a "normal" moniter.
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
AAAAHHHHH!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 5 December 2002, 17:41 »
Chaos, chill. Yer gonna fuck it up.

You need to buy Mac Vid cards for it. PCI based video cards include ATI Radeon 7000. You can get these quite cheeply from macmall. A very good card IMHO.

Also, you want the PCI slot. I don't know what this 15 pin monster yer talkin about is   :D  

Read up on your computer here:

http://lowendmac.com/ppc/9500.shtml

It tells you what upgrades are available and where to get them.

And to answer your question, yes. Any PCI based video card with a Mac ROM will work on the 9500. Just make sure you d-load and install the latest drivers when necissary.

[ December 05, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax v6.9 /Dave: Mac Zealot ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
AAAAHHHHH!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: 5 December 2002, 17:48 »
its the old mac moniter connecter. and the 15 pin monster is on the mach64 thats in it. tommorow i should be able to take it over a friends house to test it though. because if it doesn't work,i don't want $100's of stuff for it./*brings the powerbook to mind, i still have a few ideas for it to get it working*/ but if it works, i want to start putting cool stuff in it.

i guess the problem comes from not having a stock of mac parts like i have x86 parts

[ December 05, 2002: Message edited by: choasforages ]

x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
AAAAHHHHH!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: 5 December 2002, 21:13 »
OOOO! You mean the conector from the vid card to the monitor. I thought you meant the slot on the board  :D

Ya, you can buy a converter at any comp. store for like 5 bux. Go to comp. USA or online and look for a VGA converter.

Ya, old mac's had these. All the newer ones use the regular PC conector. None the less, converters exist.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

dot.this

• Kudos: 0
AAAAHHHHH!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: 5 December 2002, 22:21 »
The converters are made by Belkin, if that helps. Sometimes the "plain" converter works, but depending on your monitor, you might have to get one with DIP switches.

But probably your best option is to get a video card, which would have a built-in VGA socket. Old ATI cards are dirt cheap, if you look around.
This APT has Super Cow Powers.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
AAAAHHHHH!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: 5 December 2002, 23:25 »
The newest Macs use ADC (Apple Display Connector) and DVI (Digital Video Interface) in place of VGA!
Go the fuck ~