Author Topic: microsoft tries to get rid of linux . . . again  (Read 3265 times)

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
microsoft tries to get rid of linux . . . again
« on: 4 September 2003, 03:44 »
According to this article, microsoft is changing their instant messenger protocol to keep out cometition. There's also a stuff about the DRM "features" in office documents.

jasonlane

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.root10.net
« Reply #1 on: 4 September 2003, 04:47 »
Competition? Do M$ even class as competition?

There still going to have massive problems with all of this shit as it's implemented, there falling further and further behind on lot's of fronts. There certainly not innovators. Oh and there's still this total lack of innovation only made worse by an un-motivated work force.

There simply not concentrating on the things they should be. Admittedly they still got most of an uneducated public, well uneducated with all their propaganda hooked.
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #2 on: 4 September 2003, 07:26 »
web page

Yahoo fully supports Linux/Unix

they are the only one of the big four messenger servers (AOL,ICQ,MSN,Yahoo) to inclue and support a linux message client.

MS is must really see OOo as a threat

Maybe now that corel has some new blood, and new cash, it will claw its way back up the Office market.
web page
web page

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #3 on: 4 September 2003, 07:52 »
So that's why kopete started crashing every time I tried to log into the MSN system a few days ago.

Fuck em, I'll just switch to AIM or Jabber or whatever.  They probably log your conversations and forward them to John Asscroft anyway.

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #4 on: 4 September 2003, 07:54 »
I don't see how changing thier protocol would be seen as a attempt to solely damage Linux. There are various other IM clients that are not on Linux (ones that I use, even)

emh

« Reply #5 on: 4 September 2003, 08:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by suselinux:
they are the only one of the big four messenger servers (AOL,ICQ,MSN,Yahoo) to inclue and support a linux message client.

AOL also has a native Linux client, which is updated more frequently than Yahoo updates their Linux client.

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp?aolp=

It was kind of hidden for a while, but now, with their new website design, it's pretty easy to find if you start from the www.aim.com site.

solarismka

« Reply #6 on: 4 September 2003, 10:03 »
So lets say they did change the MSN protocals.  That would also mean that all the old MSN clents out their would stop working.  

The only way I see this working is if they bundle is with their latest buggy OS.

So lots of people use 9x NT/XP, Linux, BSD and Apple with less than .1% using Longhorn.

So only .1% will have this 'MSN' which means for the rest of the 99.9% its buisness as usual.
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #7 on: 4 September 2003, 13:28 »
double threads:

http://forum.microsuck.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000253

but i can't close this one, so it'll have to stay doubled.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #8 on: 4 September 2003, 18:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by suselinux:
web page

Yahoo fully supports Linux/Unix

It's not fully supported, yet at least. there is no webcam features in the linux version. There is no voice. yahoo is actually the only thing stopping me from having only linux on my computer.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #9 on: 4 September 2003, 19:18 »
won't you use GAIM? i don't think it has camera support yet either, but i bet it will have yahoo protocol camera support before the actual yahoo client does. Unrelated,  GAIM supports windows as well as linux and kicks the ass off of trillian too.

[ September 04, 2003: Message edited by: Calum ]

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #10 on: 4 September 2003, 19:47 »
quote:
Calum: GAIM supports windows as well as linux and kicks the ass off of trillian too.

Gaim comes close to Trillian, but they still have a lot of work to do... like the ability to send files...

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #11 on: 4 September 2003, 20:39 »
that's true, that is implemented fine in amsn, which confuses me. why can't gaim integrate the code from amsn? both are GPL...