Author Topic: Intel says OSX and Longhorn could co-exist on its CPUs  (Read 455 times)

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Intel says OSX and Longhorn could co-exist on its CPUs
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2003, 01:24 »
WOW!! If Apple decides to port OSX to the x86, Microsoft will suffer a gruesome death, and we will enter a new era in the computing world!

I can see Bill Gates yelling "it should be illegal to use OSX on a PC!"

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2003, 01:41 »
Apple would go broke i think. They make money on hardware, not software. if you could just go buy panther for 130, and install it on your existing intel pc, then, well, apple just lost a few grand. If apple had half the desktop market share of microsoft, then i could see apple porting osx as a good thing. Not now. maybe, though, porting would give them that market share. its just too huge a risk right now.

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2003, 02:48 »
Quote from the article

quote:
Intel could make a decent operating system but its senior executives are too frightened of hearing Steve Ballmer whisper quietly to say boo to a goose, never mind Bill Gates.

I would actually be interested in seeing what kind of an OS that Intel could come up with. That is pretty bad when Microsoft is big enough of a bully to scare Chipzilla out of attempting to make a competitive OS.

[ October 26, 2003: Message edited by: Viper ]

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2003, 05:17 »
I wonder if intel would base the os on a unix, or if they would actually write it from scratch. It is def interesting. Too bad ms has so much pull in the indsutry...

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2003, 08:31 »
If I read this article right Apple wouldn't have to port anything, that the new architecture would accompany both OS's.

is that right?

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2003, 08:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by suselinux:
If I read this article right Apple wouldn't have to port anything, that the new architecture would accompany both OS's.

is that right?

THey'd have to rewrite a few minor things.