Author Topic: HFS+ or UNIX filesystem?  (Read 834 times)

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
HFS+ or UNIX filesystem?
« Reply #15 on: 27 October 2002, 07:21 »
HFS+ has full UNIX permissions when running in OS X. if you're in OS 9, then no, no permissions.

HFS+ is more like a UNIX-style fs than it is any other fs, not like FAT/FAT32/HPFS/NTFS
Go the fuck ~

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
HFS+ or UNIX filesystem?
« Reply #16 on: 27 October 2002, 10:28 »
oh cool.

black_angel2

• Kudos: 0
HFS+ or UNIX filesystem?
« Reply #17 on: 6 November 2002, 21:41 »
OK I've run OSX in UFS and HFS+ and HFS+ seems faster on my 350Mhz G4

Also the dual boot option is good although if you Install Mac OS X into a UFS drive Mac OS 9 will not be able to see the UFS drive at all so if you boot into Mac OS 9 for some reason it will not be able to see your other drive. Haveing Mac OS 9 on another drive speeds it up by the way  

Also If you have Mac OS X on a UFS drive some apps seems not to work eg Mozilla and Netscape. This can be very annoying.

billy_gates

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
HFS+ or UNIX filesystem?
« Reply #18 on: 10 November 2002, 23:24 »
I think the most annoying thing about making your main HD UFS is that your hard drives name after a restart is /.  You can change the name, but when you restart it will say / again.  I find this annoying.

You can run your Main HD as UFS and run Classic of the HFS, you can even reboot into OS 9, the UFS drive will be as if it weren't in your computer under 9, except that in the Startup Disk control panel, it will allow u to boot off of the UFS.

Hope this info Helps.

P.S. I know nothing about any speed increase or decrease, I just like how UFS has no Meta Data or Creator code junk anymore.