Author Topic: Jaguar Preview  (Read 438 times)

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.akgames.net
Jaguar Preview
« on: 3 September 2002, 12:25 »
A few things that were changed between when Jag was released and when it was in beta:

1) The digital hub category never made it   :(  

2) Sherlock: News and Packages didn't make it in the retail.

3) Dock: No yellow mark denoting a crashed application

4) Ink: Unless a Wacom tablet is connected, the settings for it aren't there.

Otherwise, other than the fact that it was released (you may want to mention that) the article is good!

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Jaguar Preview
« Reply #1 on: 9 October 2002, 03:27 »
the cool Aqua puck got replaced by a crappy aquafied version of the NeXT pinwheel

normal arrow cursor shadow not available unless Quartz Extreme is active (HOW ANNOYING IS THAT?!? not very)

not all the Aqua graphics got updated to reflect the  more subdued style (titlebar buttons, scrollbars)

Spring-loaded folders are nice, but not implemented as consistently as they could be (you can't hold a file over a folder that's in the Dock and have it spring open)

The Finder was promised to be a Cocoa app... it's not. it's still Carbon, and still pokey at times

but all in all it's a great update. it's good to see that they're finally getting to all the rough edges that people have been talking about in the two years since the public beta!
Go the fuck ~

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Jaguar Preview
« Reply #2 on: 9 October 2002, 05:17 »
Well I finally ordered Jaguar and I'm expecting it on Friday so I'll post my comments then. From what I've heard though it's a great update  

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Jaguar Preview
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2002, 06:36 »
Panos

You're gonna love it. If you've got a G3 anything, it's going to be a godsend. If you've got a G4, then you're in heaven.

two things are certain with Jag. If you've got all the apps, then you don't need OS 9 anymore. The other thing is that if Apple keeps improving it this much with every release, then the end is truly nigh for Winblows
Go the fuck ~

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Jaguar Preview
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2002, 23:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Jimmy James:
Panos

You're gonna love it. If you've got a G3 anything, it's going to be a godsend. If you've got a G4, then you're in heaven.

two things are certain with Jag. If you've got all the apps, then you don't need OS 9 anymore. The other thing is that if Apple keeps improving it this much with every release, then the end is truly nigh for Winblows

You're absolutely right. I'm loving it already and I also think it's a bit faster than 10.1.* propably because they fixed some memory leaks. However I need more RAM because the 128 MBs my iBook ships with are clearly not enough. So when I get some money I'm upgrading it to 512 MBs