Author Topic: If you listen to MP3's on a PC  (Read 435 times)

cocoamix

• Kudos: 0
If you listen to MP3's on a PC
« on: 9 August 2002, 19:07 »
I pity you. The de facto MP3 player for Windoze (Winamp) sucks eggs compared to iTunes.
Winamp is so terrible, it boggles the mind. My biggest gripe? Why is it SO DAMN SLOW at convertinbg filenames to mp3 tags? One by one, slow as molasses (even on my 1Ghz P3). The other thing that sucks about that? It only does this for files currently visible in your playlist! WTF? To get all filenames to change to mp3 tags, you've got to continually scroll down a page until they're all done, because only THEN are you able to sort by filename and have them be in proper order! SUXORZ!!

Oh yeah, no batch conversions of MP3 tags, no "show file" option, no categorizing by genre, butrate, or even album.
In short, it's a USABLE mp3 player, and I can see how anyone who has never used something better would settle for it. Just like Windoze itself...

smokey

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2002, 06:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by cocoamix:
I pity you. The de facto MP3 player for Windoze (Winamp) sucks eggs compared to iTunes.
Winamp is so terrible, it boggles the mind. My biggest gripe? Why is it SO DAMN SLOW at convertinbg filenames to mp3 tags? One by one, slow as molasses (even on my 1Ghz P3). The other thing that sucks about that? It only does this for files currently visible in your playlist! WTF? To get all filenames to change to mp3 tags, you've got to continually scroll down a page until they're all done, because only THEN are you able to sort by filename and have them be in proper order! SUXORZ!!

Oh yeah, no batch conversions of MP3 tags, no "show file" option, no categorizing by genre, butrate, or even album.
In short, it's a USABLE mp3 player, and I can see how anyone who has never used something better would settle for it. Just like Windoze itself...

strange because I recently rebuilt my playlist and it took about 10 seconds and no scrolling and they were all done with 724 songs.  :D
//this is how I was born :)

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/mybrain

Tip for win98 (l)users: type copy /con/con in your command prompt to increase stability

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2002, 07:06 »
ummm, XMMS. it takes like 40-50 seconds to go through all my mp3s, and it does them all at once, if your wondering why it takes so long, try im using a 400mhz pc, with ata-33 drives, not ata-100 like you probably are. like it is very fast and has built into the menu the abitlity to do great things like write to disk, and such. and atleast under gnome, it has drag and drop featrue, like drag an mp3 from nautilus to the playlist. and with macosx, you can run xmms also.
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!