Author Topic: Safari: What's the big deal??!!  (Read 1976 times)

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
Safari: What's the big deal??!!
« on: 14 April 2003, 05:07 »
I just downloaded Safari and I'm not impressed at all. It reminds me a lot of IE.

Good things about it:
1. Cool aqua icon
2. Bar thingy fills up as the page loads
3. Seems pretty fast
4. Matches well with iTunes

Bad things about it:
1. No tabbed browsing
2. Can't see the page as I'm scrolling with it and it will stick and go down sometimes when I'm scrolling with the wheel
3. Loads like IE, with one image at a time instead of loading everything and then showing the page
4. Everything on the window blinks when I take it out of the dock

This is only the beta, maybe it will improve. Does anyone know what the big stinkin deal is about Safari??

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2003, 05:19 »
safari is fast. and its only at like .62 beta. the .7 beta has tabbed browsing i hear. but i couldnt find it.
i really like safari. its clean, easy, fast. plus the snap back feature is cool. so are the new bookmarking features. plus with coca gestures installed, i have mouse gestures like opera. dope.

quote:
Bad things about it:
1. No tabbed browsing
2. Can't see the page as I'm scrolling with it and it will stick and go down sometimes when I'm scrolling with the wheel
3. Loads like IE, with one image at a time instead of loading everything and then showing the page
4. Everything on the window blinks when I take it out of the dock

1. tabbed browsing will be in the final version.
2. havent had that problem
3.yeah. i do not like this. fuckig khtml
4.??

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2003, 05:20 »
Ummm.. the speed is insane... I don't know about you, but this is the fastest browser I have ever used. My scroll wheel dosn't act funny like yours...

I agree, some fetures are missing, but their comming. Including tabed browsing.

But safari is incredible.

Currently Camino is my fav. browser over all, but I use Safari more just because of the speed.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2003, 06:22 »
I agree with Psyjax, and every version since v62 has tabbed browsing. You just need to know how to turn it on...I did, but I forgot. Google it.

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2003, 06:52 »
Safari is the second fastest, second only to IE on my PC running Windows (I know, its IE, I can truthfully say IE is the fastest browser I have ever used, mozilla is catching up though).  I have had that scrolling problem.  I never really used tabs before to a large extent, when they are in safari I am sure that I will.  I like the way it loads, then if a server is slow I can click to the next page without having to wait, and it is a god send to those poor dialupers.  I do not know what you just attempted to say in #4.

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2003, 07:05 »
Okay, its starting to grow on me. I like the clear, sharp text. Maybe I could get to like it if I can get my beloved tabbed browsing back.

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2003, 21:33 »
quote:
Here is a nice surprise for you

Pantso

• http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2003, 16:05 »
Well, Macman has a point or two there but I wouldn't be so harsh on a product that is still in late beta. The final version should be coming shortly. Nonetheless, Safari is extremely fast even in beta.

I personally prefer and use Camino though, since I'm a fan of Gecko-based browsers but I'm also using Safari.  

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2003, 17:34 »
khtml sucks. why people persist is beyond me.

when they get tabbed browsing on the go and when their privacy and security settings are as versatile and when it's fast enough to compare with gecko browsers, then i might relent on khtml.

still, haven't tried safari myself and from what i hear from you guys, it's better than konqueror web browser, so this means that apple must be making it better? so long as they don't rest on their laurels it should be more or less decent some time soon.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Pantso

« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2003, 22:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum: crusader for peace & freedom:
khtml sucks. why people persist is beyond me.

when they get tabbed browsing on the go and when their privacy and security settings are as versatile and when it's fast enough to compare with gecko browsers, then i might relent on khtml.

still, haven't tried safari myself and from what i hear from you guys, it's better than konqueror web browser, so this means that apple must be making it better? so long as they don't rest on their laurels it should be more or less decent some time soon.

Apple have improved the khtml rendering engine tremendously. One only has to use Safari, to see it with his own eyes. And that I believe is the answer to those who claim, with disbelief and ignorance that Apple does not contribute to the Open source community.   ;)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2003, 22:26 »
is it fully open source and Free?

if so then i will concede that something is being given back.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: 14 April 2003, 22:32 »
Apple Web Core

quote:
Open source
For its Web page rendering engine, Safari draws on software from the Konqueror open source project. Weighing in at less than one tenth the size of another open source renderer, Konqueror helps Safari stay lean and responsive. And of course, being a good open source citizen, Apple shares its enhancements with the Konqueror open source community.

Pantso

« Reply #12 on: 14 April 2003, 22:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum: crusader for peace & freedom:
is it fully open source and Free?

if so then i will concede that something is being given back.

Apple shares the full enhanced and improved source code with the KDE development team. Ecsyle came first though. I was going to post the same link.   :D

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: 14 April 2003, 22:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by Panos:

Apple shares the full enhanced and improved source code with the KDE development team. Ecsyle came first though. I was going to post the same link.     :D  

:D      ;)  
word though. im glad to see people standing up for apple  

[ April 14, 2003: Message edited by: ecsyle ]

Pantso

« Reply #14 on: 14 April 2003, 23:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by ecsyle:

:D        ;)    
word though. im glad to see people standing up for apple      

[ April 14, 2003: Message edited by: ecsyle ]

Well, I can't say that I'm a Mac zealot, but the reason I bought an iBook last September was first of all OS X. I believe that what Apple did, was very brave. Adopting an open source OS for the core of OS X, is not an easy decision for anyone to make, let alone Apple that has gone through numerous financial difficulties in the past. I also like the fact that I can work with the shell and install a variety of open source and free software that has been ported to Darwin.

What I fail to understand though, is this suspiciousness from a small part of the open source community about OS X. Thanks to OS X, many people will discover open source apps and as a result there will be better support as many developers will be working in that direction as well.

Anyway, I like OS X and I certainly like GNU/Linux for what it stands for. If Linux were as ready as OS X is for the desktop, then I would propably do 80% of my work there. For the moment though, I'm mostly working on my iBook and enjoying every minute of it. I'll also continue to stand up for Apple, unless I see a reason in the future not to.    :D